Sep 6, 2011

Bake-fest

This weekend, I really got in the mood for baking. So I baked not one, not two, but three tasty desserts! In order of best turn-out, here they are:


My changes:

* I used 1 real egg (in place of the chia egg), because I neither had chia seeds nor are any of us vegan.

* I  used Latta margarine instead of Earth Balance, because I'm abroad and they don't have Earth Balance here.

* I crumbled walnuts on top, instead of sesame seeds, because the walnuts added awesome flavor.

* I used a 1/2c. white flour and a 1/2c. whole wheat flour because I didn't have any Kamut flour.

* I used white sugar, since I didn't have any brown sugar.

* I used honey in place of maple syrup.

* I used baking powder, since I didn't have any baking soda.

* I used dairy milk instead of almond milk, because I didn't have any almond milk and no one here is vegan.

It really seems like I can never just leave a recipe as-is! Still, it was really easy (and quick) to make and everyone, even those who *abhor* anything even close to a healthy-ish dessert, loved it!

The base (and topping) ended up being more cakey, with a runnier batter, than Angela's. That's probably due to the egg, the baking powder, and maybe the different margarine? I'd like to try it with a flax egg...though then I have to go find some ground flax seed. I've never actually baked with substitute 'eggs' before...

I had originally planned to freeze some for later, but these are too much of a hit for that to stand a chance of happening!

Recipe #2 was still tasty, but it was actually the first one that I baked (in my WWII-era oven, mind you) and the finnicky oven didn't want to do a good job - it burnt the top in the first ten minutes! Still, it ended up tasty - if charred. :)

Beany Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

425 g white beans

1 cup quick oats

0.5 cup vegetable oil (I used Raps, but canola should work, too)

2.5 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1.25 cup sugar

0.25 cup honey

200g high-quality dark chocolate, chopped (I used 2 Lindt Excellence 100g bars)

1)    Put the first 7 ingredients in a blender, blend. CAUTION: You’ll want to use a good blender! This killed my cheap one!

2)    Stir in the chopped chocolate.

3)    Pour into a baking paper lined baking dish (I baked it in my skillet pan).

4)    Bake at 175C for about 25 to 30 minutes, until testing toothpick comes out without globby stuff on it.

5)    Cool, cut, enjoy!

High in protein and fiber, this is a tasty way to sneak in some extra nutrients! It's essential to use high-quality chocolate, though - how can you expect a good pie if you don't use good ingredients?
You can definitely taste the bean flavor, so this isn't something for the warier picky eaters out there (my little sister wasn't a fan). The flavor fits in surprisingly well, however (me and my mom both really like it), so it's great if you're looking for a way to sneak in some beans into a tasty treat!

Funnily enough, the recipe that I enjoyed the least was also the 'normal' one. An apple pie that did not turn out well!


I left off the top crust, because I thought it would be nice to be able to see the apples, but then the filling didn't really solidify super-well. It tasted okay, but was definitely not a beauty.

Oh well! I'd say 1.5 out of three (the second recipe gets 0.5, since the oven charred it) is a good start for an oven that's been out of circulation for several decades. :P

Do you notice differences when you bake in different ovens?

Have you ever tried a baked good with beans in it?

What's your favorite healthy dessert recipe?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai