But today I made the most amazing baked oatmeal of my life! So I just *had* to share the recipe and the pics (which can't even come close to capturing its awesomeness) even though I wasn't planning on a second post today.
* Generous 1/2 cup of oats
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 *thick* flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax, 1-2 Tablespoons water)
* 3 Tablespoons milk (soymilk would work, too, as would rice milk)
* 3 Tablespoons Quark (if you're not in Germany, you can use greek yogurt)
* 2 Tablespoons almond butter (vegetable oil, olive oil, coconut butter, etc. could work, too - I don't think peanut butter would taste good here, though, because of the blackberries)
* Generous handful frozen blackberries
Mix it all together, bake it at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes, until it's solid! ENJOY! Especially topped with more quark (or greek yogurt), ice cream, and almonds!
It was an awesome snack, but I could also see this being a tasty breakfast (with great staying power) if paired with a banana or an apple on the side. And, NO, the quark is *not* a fat substitute - it makes the baked oatmeal extra doughy and awesome, so I'd advise against swapping it for more almond butter. I don't do fat substitutes, so if I put yogurt/applesauce/whatever in a recipe, that's because they make the recipe tastier and belong there as an ingredient in their own right. ;)
And there is a bit of nut butter/oil in there, plus toppings are whatever you want - I did nuts, ice cream, and quark, but you can also try a chocolatey spread, a nut butter, frosting, or really whatever you wish!
I'd recommend making this RIGHT. NOW. Have a lovely Monday (it's Tag der Deutsche Einheit so almost everyone has today off)!
What's your favorite holiday?
Do you like Baked Oatmeal, French Toast, Pancakes, or the Traditional English Breakfast the best?
Do you try out recipes that you see on blogs?