Oct 3, 2011

The *BEST* Baked Oatmeal

I know there are a lot of baked oatmeal recipes out there - trust me, I know. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite ways to eat oatmeal - granola, muesli, and in oatmeal cookies/bars being my other favorites - and it's definitely the most comforting (and filling, as it's warm) way to eat them.

But today I made the most amazing baked oatmeal of my life! So I just *had* to share the recipe and the pics (which can't even come close to capturing its awesomeness) even though I wasn't planning on a second post today.

Living, Learning, Eating's Favorite Baked Oatmeal

* Generous 1/2 cup of oats

* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

* 1 *thick* flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax, 1-2 Tablespoons water)

* 3 Tablespoons milk (soymilk would work, too, as would rice milk)

* 3 Tablespoons Quark (if you're not in Germany, you can use greek yogurt)

* 2 Tablespoons almond butter (vegetable oil, olive oil, coconut butter, etc. could work, too - I don't think peanut butter would taste good here, though, because of the blackberries)

* Generous handful frozen blackberries

Mix it all together, bake it at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes, until it's solid! ENJOY! Especially topped with more quark (or greek yogurt), ice cream, and almonds!

I thought it was amazing exactly as described above - it was very hearty, tasty, filling, and the perfect amount of sweet (when topped with ice cream). If you're not planning on topping with ice cream/nutella/DCD or anything like that, you'll probably want to add some sugar/honey/agave nectar/maple syrup. BUT OH MY GOODNESS, was this delicious.

It was an awesome snack, but I could also see this being a tasty breakfast (with great staying power) if paired with a banana or an apple on the side. And, NO, the quark is *not* a fat substitute - it makes the baked oatmeal extra doughy and awesome, so I'd advise against swapping it for more almond butter. I don't do fat substitutes, so if I put yogurt/applesauce/whatever in a recipe, that's because they make the recipe tastier and belong there as an ingredient in their own right. ;)

And there is a bit of nut butter/oil in there, plus toppings are whatever you want - I did nuts, ice cream, and quark, but you can also try a chocolatey spread,  a nut butter, frosting, or really whatever you wish!

I'd recommend making this RIGHT. NOW. Have a lovely Monday (it's Tag der Deutsche Einheit so almost everyone has today off)!

What's your favorite holiday?

Do you like Baked Oatmeal, French Toast, Pancakes, or the Traditional English Breakfast the best?

Do you try out recipes that you see on blogs?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai