CARROT CAKE FLAPJACKS were born! I threw them together in just a few minutes and baked them while reading some of Swathi Kaushal's Delhi Love Story (which, despite the name, isn't really a romance and is all the better for it). I just love stories that take place abroad and/or have a heavy cultural influence!
They're simple, not sweet, but I wanted something to step in for my missing bread (and I ate them with fruited quark and chocolate almond butter, so that added the sweetness). I loved the texture - dense and chewy, a little sticky...if you don't want to add sweet toppings, but want something sweet, I'm sure you could just add a sweetener to the mix.
Carrot Cake Flapjacks
* 1 or 2 cooked carrots (I used ~1/3 to 1/2 c diced carrots, nuked in the microwave for 1:30)
* 1/3 c. quick oats
* 1/2 c. water
* A sprinkle of salt
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. almond extract (could use vanilla, rum, etc.)
* A sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
* A tablespoon of oil (I used Raps)
* 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
*1 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1) Blend the carrots, water, and oats until smooth.
2) Add remaining ingredients...
...and stir them in (but don't over-stir).
3) Form into desired number of flapjack rounds (I used three, because then they were thick enough, but not too thick, and also fit into my container for work).
4) Bake at 160C for ~15 minutes, until firm and tan underneath. My oven didn't burn them! HOORAY! :)
So yeah, those are my healthy, tasty flapjacks that are super-convenient for work (or whenever) and give a whole serving of veggies, along with some whole grains to power you along! Don't forget to slather them in nut butter or something, though, because they're not very rich by themselves and hard-working girls (and guys!) need calories to fuel their exploits! :)
What would you top carrot cake flapjacks with?
Oh, and my Thankful Thanksgiving Giveaway goes live tomorrow at 5:43AM, German time. Be
Especially if you're a chocoholic or like healthy stuff. ;)