Nov 12, 2011

Carrot Cake Flapjacks

I ran out of bread the other day, but needed to pack something carby to fuel me through work, so...



CARROT CAKE FLAPJACKS were born! I threw them together in just a few minutes and baked them while reading some of Swathi Kaushal's Delhi Love Story (which, despite the name, isn't really a romance and is all the better for it). I just love stories that take place abroad and/or have a heavy cultural influence!

They're simple, not sweet, but I wanted something to step in for my missing bread (and I ate them with fruited quark and chocolate almond butter, so that added the sweetness). I loved the texture - dense and chewy, a little sticky...if you don't want to add sweet toppings, but want something sweet, I'm sure you could just add a sweetener to the mix.

HVFButtonFont54

Carrot Cake Flapjacks

* 1 or 2 cooked carrots (I used ~1/3 to 1/2 c diced carrots, nuked in the microwave for 1:30)
* 1/3 c. quick oats
* 1/2 c. water
* A sprinkle of salt
* 1 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. almond extract (could use vanilla, rum, etc.)
* A sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
* A tablespoon of oil (I used Raps)
* 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
*1 Tbsp ground flax seeds

1) Blend the carrots, water, and oats until smooth.


2) Add remaining ingredients...


...and stir them in (but don't over-stir).


3) Form into desired number of flapjack rounds (I used three, because then they were thick enough, but not too thick, and also fit into my container for work).


4) Bake at 160C for ~15 minutes, until firm and tan underneath. My oven didn't burn them! HOORAY! :)

So yeah, those are my healthy, tasty flapjacks that are super-convenient for work (or whenever) and give a whole serving of veggies, along with some whole grains to power you along! Don't forget to slather them in nut butter or something, though, because they're not very rich by themselves and hard-working girls (and guys!) need calories to fuel their exploits! :)

What would you top carrot cake flapjacks with?

Oh, and my Thankful Thanksgiving Giveaway goes live tomorrow at 5:43AM, German time. Be there here or be square.

Especially if you're a chocoholic or like healthy stuff. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Yum! These sound awesome. I've never attempted flapjacks but, since I have all of these ingredients on hand, I think I will! And I'll probably wind up topping them with almond butter.
    Can't wait for your giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topping with almond butter is the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai