Oct 10, 2011

Falling for Pumpkin!

I know it's pretty much unheard of in the blogosphere, but I'm not the biggest pumpkin fan around.

Correction: I wasn't the biggest pumpkin fan. But, after this tasty-licious-ness (I know it looks gross, but the taste makes up for it) I'm firmly on the pumpkin bandwagon.

My grandmother (Oma in German) had a HUGE pumpkin in her garden and ended up chopping it up yesterday. We munched on some roasted pumpkin seeds for a bit, but I decided that I wanted to try some of the innards, too. So, wa-la: sauteed pumpkin mash! On a bed of lightly dressed (olive oil) lettuce for a scrumptious salad!

1) Start off with a generous layer of high-quality olive oil in a trusty cast-iron skillet. Why do all of my savory recipes seem to start out this way?

2) Add some chopped pumpkin. I didn't really measure how much, but I'd guess it was somewhere between a 1/2 cup and a cup?

3) Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring with a fork. Because you ran out of proper cookware. Or maybe that's just me...

4) Sprinkle on some salt, pepper, ground paprika, oregano (a heavy-handed shake of the good stuff ;) ), and a good couple tablespoons of Nooch.

5) Simmer for another ~5 minutes, stirring. I'm not sure when it turned into mash, as I was reading a pretty gripping book while stirring. But somewhere near the end of the chapter, I glanced at the pan and there was this pumpkin mash!


Though it looks kind of like a light-colored cow patty, it tasted soooooooo good! And it was quick, easy, cheap, and converted this non-pumpkin-eater into a pumpkin fan!

YUM YUM YUM. Now I have one more thing to love about fall. :)

On the side, I had a tasty toasted German rye roll (Roggenbroetchen) with butter and a glass of Oma's apple-raspberry juice.

What are your top three fall favorites?

Do you mind if your food looks disgusting, if it tastes delicious?

What are you up to this weekend? I have this weekend off - again! I'm actually starting to get super-psyched for next week's weekend shift. :P

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai