Nov 5, 2011

Growing Up Cauliflower

Have you heard of cauliflower pizza crust? There's been a lot of buzz about it lately and, frankly, it sounds delicious - pureed/mashed cauliflower baked with cheese, eggs, and spices, then covered in pizza sauce, toppings, and more cheese. What's not to love?

I decided that I was going to try it out and see for myself!

Of course, if you know anything about me by this point, you know things didn't really go the way I planned. Sure, I had cauliflower - but no food processor, eggs, pizza sauce (and I was too hungry to make any), and cheese makes my stomach feel funny. In a not-so-funny way.



So, of course, my cauliflower pizza turned into something very different: a metaphor! It was asking for it. So here's my metaphorical cauliflower (yes, I'm aware of the grammatical inaccuracy in that sentence - deal with it).

You start with something simple - some cauliflower in a pan...


Then life (or me, take your pic) throws in some surprises - a little spice, a few more ingredients, and both disappointments and successes. Your flavors meld as all the ingredients simmer together and wala - you're well on your way to growing up (not being grown up, because no one ever is all the way done growing up).


And then I eat you.

Hmm, I think that part doesn't really fit into the metaphor, does it? :P Without further ado, here's the recipe!


GUC


* Some cauliflower (sorry, I don't really measure things - I just used what looked good in the pan)
* A medium tomato, diced
* A glug of olive oil (around 1-2 Tbsp.)
* A few shakes of nooch
* Spices (I used oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika - my staples)

Goshdarnit! I meant to add a flax egg and some flour - maybe then it would have stuck together better!


1) Boil the cauliflower in a wee bit of water for around 3 minutes.
2) Add the tomato, continue to boil until the cauliflower is soft enough to mash with a fork (or blend/process, if you're not doing this college kid/intern style)
3) Mash said cauliflower with said fork.
4) Glug in the olive oil. Continue to cook for 3 more minutes at medium-high heat (if it's sticking/burning, instead of simmering, add more oil).
5) Mix in nooch and spices.
6) Bake in a not-preheated oven at 200C for 5-10 minutes (until a crust seems to form and/or you're too hungry to wait any longer).

I ate it on a bed of iceberg - yum! But it was nothing like pizza (the crust was just a visual slight), so if I want pizza I'll either go for the real deal and grab some ginger (to calm the tum) or invest in some eggs and remember to use the flour. :P

Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower/cauliflower pizza crust?
Metaphors - love 'em or hate 'em?

7 comments:

  1. I'm not a big cauliflower fan but the outcome of this looks so good! I love this as a way to add more veggies in my diet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this recipe!
    I'm OBSESSED about cauliflower, so it sounds/looks extra-amazing to me ;)
    And.. hmmm... Can I ask a dumb question?
    How do I subscribe to your blog?
    I've been trying to do it for a full day, and nothing works...
    (I'm so clueless. I know. Heheh.)
    Anyway - thanks for sharing!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I LOOOOVE cauliflower! :P

    Metaphors - definitely love them!

    And thank you so much for the blog award!! You're so sweet! :)

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was tasty - I was disappointed that the cauliflower taste was overwhelmed by the others, but I guess that's good for you, Chloe!

    Thanks Gabriela! I'm so happy that you want to subscribe :) If you have a Google account, sign in to that and then either follow in your google reader or click on the B and attenae sign on the top right of the page. If you have any problems, please ask me!

    And you're welcome, Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cauliflower! Your dish reminds me of those boca meatless crumbles patties I've been having recently.

    I finally found a computer in the school lab that allows me to comment on your blog *yay!*

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai