Nov 10, 2011

Homemade (Healthy) Energy Bars

The other day I asked you guys for a healthy baking challenge. Gary came up with a good one: healthy energy bars that are low in salt and sugar (which are both fine in moderation, but tend to be overrepresented in packaged goods).

So here's a tasty, seedy energy bar that everyone who's tried has loved!



Extreme Energy Bars


1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup soy seeds
1 whole egg*
2 Tbsp. coconut oil (I used Artisana - don't sub a non-coconut oil, or the bars won't be as crunchy and stick-together-y!)
Sticky sweetener to taste (I used 1/2 cup honey, but maple syrup or molasses would work just fine and the amount depends on your preference)
1 packet vanilla sugar

*OPTIONAL* Milk chocolate bar or other mix-ins/toppings of choice

1) Mix everything together.
2) Spread on an oiled (or baking sheet lined) tray in the desired thickness.



 *I didn't use any salt, since the bars just didn't need it, but I did end up covering it in a chopped-up milk chocolate bar that was about to expire - this is entirely optional (unless, of course, you're a chocoholic)!*






3) Bake at 160C for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and finished looking. I know - so scientific. :P




My favorite thing about these seedy whole grain bars is that they're really flexible - you can throw in whatever nut/seeds/dried fruits/chocolate pieces you have lying around! If you want to up the protein content, you can throw in your protein powder of choice! They're fast and easy, but also made with simple, wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about putting into your body. Good deal! :)



Oh, and they stuck together, unlike many homemade granola bars (thank the egg and the coconut oil!)



Oh, and even non-health-food-fans loved these. So make enough to share!



* You could sub two egg whites, if you really wanted, but this is a good place to sneak in a yolk where you really can't taste it! Yolks are great for hair and brain health... but somehow brittle, dry hair that grows slowly and less than optimal brain function just doesn't sound that tempting. On the other hand, if you live egg-free and get those nutrients from vegan alternatives, a flax egg might work here (I just didn't have any ground flax to try it out with).

8 comments:

  1. yum tht looks so amazing! lovee chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm these look good! much better than most of the store bought chocolate granola bars. i like that you know what's actually in them, and no added chemicals!

    ps subscribed to your blog :) it looks awesome! love the header

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Can't wait to try making some! :D I agree! lots of energy bars have tons of unnecessary sugar & salt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! These look so good! The texture is amazing- I can't wait to try making them!
    I love that you're not intimidated by creating new things in the kitchen. Sometimes winging it, without a recipe, makes for the best foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizzie - thanks, it was such a chocoholics dream (I could have even used a little less and it would have been good).

    Kara - Thanks, that was the goal! And thank you for subscribing! And for liking my new blog look. :) I'm not that IT-gifted, so it took a while for me to figure things out...

    Vien - Yay! If you make them, please post about it and let me know - I'd love to see how they turn out for you/what variation you make!

    Emily - Yay, again! Winging it is sooo much fun, but you have to be ready for hockey pucks, door stops, book weights, and other non-tasty things that only you will eat (especially if you're trying to stick to healthier ingredients). If you make the bars, please post about them and let me know - again, I'd love to see how they turn out for you/what twist (if any) you make on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, they look so delicious!
    And..these bars ARE healthy :)
    Thanks for creating such yummy health bars
    and sharing the recipe with us !
    I'm going to try and make some over the next few days.

    Happy 11/11/11
    I hope it's a good day for you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome! They *are* delicious, too! :) If you make them (and photograph them) I'd love to see how they turned out for you/what variation you made.

    Happy 11/11/11, too! I missed 11:11 this morning, but I guess I'll have to look out for it tonight. Funny days like this are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy! I think my boys would love this! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! Thanks for being one of my early birds and getting this party started Thursday night! WOOT! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai