Oct 11, 2011

Making It Up As I Go

That's pretty much how I live my life, actually - I just make it up as I go. And it's working out pretty well for me, thus far. Sure, I've got that something-year plan and an image/big picture in the back of my mind, but as for the details, I tend towards spontaneity and seizing opportunities as they come. For me, that's the most fun way to enjoy life and I love it!

One night, at about 8:30pm, I decided that I felt like making up a recipe. Something healthy, that would use the rest of my agave syrup and that big old jar of white beans that's been sitting in the back of my cupboard for a while. But it needed to be tasty, too. And I wanted something fruity...and chocolatey, too...

Making It Up Murfins*


* 525g white beans, rinsed and drained

* 1.5 tsp. baking powder

* 1/4 tsp. baking soda

* 1/3 c. olive oil (though any veg oil would do)

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 3/4 c. agave syrup

* 2/3 c. oats

* 1 tsp. cinnamon (heaping)

* Frozen berries (about 1/2 to 1 cup)

* 1/4 c. unsweetened baking cocoa

1) Mash the beans with fork, if you're a poor college kid like myself. Of course, if you own a fancy vitamix (drool), you could blend them up in that. Otherwise, just mash for about five or ten minutes, or however long it takes you to finish reading your chapter of your book-of-the-day.

2) Stir in everything but the berries and baking cocoa. Mix well, pour a little each into 8 lined muffin cups.

3) Sprinkle most of the frozen berries (your choice; I'm not quite sure what the ones I used were. I tend to tell my 6-year-old sister not to eat things if she doesn't know what they are - unless, of course, they might be made of chocolate. But I made an exception, because I was pretty confident that the berries were edible) on top of the batter in the muffin cups.

4) Cover the berries in six of the muffin cups with more batter.


5) Stir the cocoa into the remaining batter. Cover the berries in the other two muffin cups with chocolatey batter.

6) Fill the remaining four muffin cups likewise, but chocolatey this time!


7) Bake for about 30 minutes at about 350F. If your oven actually listens to you...

Sadly, my old oven doesn't. I mean, okay, it's seen the better part of a century. But so has my dad! Thus, that's no excuse to require me to cover everything with aluminum foil (making ugly tops as the muffins puff up and then cave in once they touch the foil), to turn the tray a gabajillion times while baking, and still make my treats look like this:

GAH! Oh well, at least they're tasty. Even if they're murfins only a mother could love. That just means more for me!

* That's not a typo- these are denser than muffins/cake/cupcakes, but they're still sweet and delightful treats, so I figured that they're murfins. Somehow, the name just fits.

Do you have any idea of how to make my age-old oven obey me?

Do you know how I could check what the temperature really is in there? I don't have a special candy thermometer, but I doubt that it's really just 170C in there, when I turn it to 170C...

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai