Nov 4, 2011

Pleasant (and just odd) Surprises

Hi!
To all of you that have followed me to my new blog (same stuff, same me - just a different webhost) thanks! So far, I'm liking blogspot. I just want to figure out a way to make pictures show on my homepage, so you don't have to click on the post to see them, and work out some kinks. And maybe a blog makeover? Hmm..

To the point of the post: I've been surprised twice recently!

Surprise 1:

If all surprises are like this, they're welcome to pop into my life whenever!
A box full of 9Bars - arriving in the mail exactly when I was running low on snacks/snack ideas? Thank you!
As those of you who follow Living, Learning, Eating regularly know, I'm quite the fan of flax seeds. So what better way to start off my sampling of these British (!) health food bars than with the 9Bar...flax?


A lovely ingredient list, free of crazy chemical surprises (not a big fan of those). :P

Mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, poppy) (49%), carob topping (sugar, vegetable fat, soya, carob, emulsifier: sunflower lecithin)(15%), honey, raw cane sugar, vegetable oil, flax seed(5%), dehulled hemp seed (3%).

I'm loving how 57% of the bar is seeds and that more honey than sugar is used as a sweetener. But tons of things are healthy and nasty. Not cool. So I withheld judgment until after trying the bar.


I unwrapped it to take some photos at home, but ate it at work.


The bottom (bulk of the bar) is literally just seeds, seeds, and more seeds stuck together with a honey mix! It's super sweet and salty (which I definitely wasn't expecting). What else I wasn't expecting?

The layer of carob topping tasted, looks, and feels just like creamy milk chocolate. Seriously - this IS a healthy candy bar. Not an energy bar or a good-for-you granola bar: a candy bar.
It was a little salty for my tastes (and I'm not the hugest sunflower seed fan around) but otherwise it was absolutely amazing and the sweetness did balance the saltiness out well. I just noticed it because I was glugging water for the rest of the day!

And, though it tastes just like a chocolate bar, it's way more satisfying. The bar is big (50g, not like one of those teensy-weensy Quaker Chewy bars that wouldn't even fill up my 6 year old sister) and has a satiating 8.7g of protein, 11.9g of unsaturated fats (and 7.1g of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids) and 3.1g of filling fiber.

It held me full for quite a while, powering me through the rest of my shift and even giving me the energy to borrow a friend's bike and bike home (saved me a 3 Euro bus ticket - score!). In addition, I felt fuller in general all day. And, more importantly, my raging sweet tooth was satisfied. :) And all for 15g of sugar - not bad when you compare it to a same-sized Snicker's bar's 29g!



Overall, I'm a fan! If you want to try a 9Bar for free, head over to their site. Sometimes they have competitions and give away whole cases of the bars. And even if you don't win, their sampler set (like I have) is only 3 pounds and 50 pence. Not bad. :)

Surprise 2:

At work today, we have a very old man come in for a shock cardioversion.
Nurse (right before giving sleep meds): Think of something nice to dream about.
Very old man: (Drops eyes to nurse's chest).
Nurse: I meant Wiener Schnitzel!

Bwahahaha! :P Work at the hospital never fails to crack me up.

Do you like surprises?
What's your favorite British food?

4 comments:

  1. I always have a health bar stashed away either in my briefcase
    or camera bag, they make for a pretty good healthy snack .
    I've also of thought about having a go at making my own, have you
    ever done that?

    Surprises...? Always love a good surprise !

    British food...I'm not quite sure what British food is but I like salads, nuts, fruit and veg and.. COFFEE is a big love!

    I always like the way you write your blogs and the way you share yourself
    and a part of your life... I’d love to subscribe to you!

    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Hmm...I've tried one batch of bars but they were *such* a disaster. :P I'm going to have to keep working on it (all in all, though, I think it's probably a pretty great option)!

    *Shudder.* I cannot stomach coffee. It's so bitter! And the aftertaste...bwah! I feel the same way about garlic and raw onions. :P

    Have a lovely weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm.. those bars look good! And nutritious too! I always check for those 'unpronounceable ingredients' before I buy something! If you can't say it, you can't it eat! ;)

    British food.. hmm.. High tea!! With scones & cakes.... soooo good! And mushy peas:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think regular peas are too delicious, but something about cold, mushy peas appeals to me, too! For some reason, it always makes me think of Oliver Twist? :P

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai