Jul 15, 2011

PRODUCT REVIEW: Kashi TLC Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar

I promised I'd post a review soon, so here it is! Since I didn't take pics when I ate it at work (and I wanted the bar to be fresh in my mind while preparing the review) I had to eat another one.


*Sigh.* The things I do for you guys....haha, just kidding! It was delicious!


And now for a little closer look at the texture, before I begin:


Now, without further ado:

Flavor- If there's one thing you can tell from the pics, it's that there's a whole lot of syrup (it's positively glistening!) holding those bars together! Lots of syrup = a very sweet bar! I almost liked this one better than the Trail Mix bar, because it didn't have the dried fruits and so the syrup made it really sweet, but not too too sweet. However, I still think they could reduce the sweetness of the bar a bit and I would like it better. Don't mask the yumminess of the grains, guys! Alternately, the super-sweet almonds were deelish: they tasted like the candied almonds you get in Germany at Christmas time! And, as the sweeteners are all natural stuff like molasses, sugar, etc. at least you're not like 'ahh! too sweet!' and 'ahh! HFCS!' I did miss the little bit of freshness that the dried fruits provided in the Trail Mix bar, however...Three and a Half out of Five Nuts!

Size- Again, Kashi knows sizing! It was just the right size to take the bite out of my rumbling tummy after work, without filling me up before dinner. Five out of Five Nuts!

Texture- Again, excellent. :) I really like feeling the different grains, and the hard almonds added a nice contrast agains the puffed and flaked grains, as well as the hard little flax seeds. Five out of Five Nuts!

Visual- It looks good, don't you think? But somehow I miss the color variation. I'm not talking neons (please, don't!) but I just like having a little natural color variation. I liked that better about the Trail Mix bar. And the syrup? I think it's a little weird when my granola bar glistens...Less is more, guys! Still, with all the grains, nuts, and seeds, the bar deserves a solid Four out of Five Nuts!

Nutrition- With 7 grams of protein, 5 grams of sugar, and 4 grams of fiber, this bar looks even a little bit better than the other! As they're both made of largely natural ingredients, however, and the higher sugar content of the other bar may have likely been due to the dried fruit (both of them have evaporated cane juice, brown rice syrup, etc. pretty high up on their ingredient lists so I'd say the added sugars are the same), I'll call this one a tie. Three and a Half out of Five Nuts!

Price- Well, it's the EXACT same deal for this. If you want more info, look at the product review for the Trail Mix bars. Cut to the chase: Three out of Five Nuts!

That brings the Kashi TLC Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar to an overall score of 4.08333 Nuts out of Five Nuts!

A good score? For sure.

A good snack, to be revisited? Definitely.

The perfect granola bar? Not quite - I'll keep looking.

Nom-nom-nom, dinner time approaches. :) Until next time!

P.S. I kind of feel like I'm talking (er, writing?) to myself here. Am I? Am I pretty much the only one that reads this blog? If you're out there, and you're reading this, please let me know! Just a 'hi' in the comments is enough!

But, of course, if you have any suggestions regarding content or anything you want reviewed, please let me know! Do you want to see more junk food? More ice cream? More healthy stuff? I eat it all, just let me know what you want me to post!

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai