Jul 13, 2011

Product Review: Kashi U Black Currants & Walnuts

So this morning I decided to mix things up a bit. And boy am I glad that I did! Kashi U - Black Currants & Walnuts was an absolutely scrumptious alternative topping for my Chobani!
Here's a quick pick of my yummy-yummy bowl (at 6am!):


And here's a nice close-up of the yumminess:


Do you see those glistening bran flakes? Those amazingly flavorful currants - somehow not all dried? Yup.

I sprinkled some Cheerios knock-off cereal on top, just to add a little fluff to an otherwise dense cereal, but it would be great either way :) So, now for the break down:

Size - The serving size is a whole cup, which, let me tell you!, will fill you up. Usually with dense cereals like this one, the producer will try to artificially minimize nutritional stats by suggesting a size a two year old wouldn't even be happy with (granola tends to come in around 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup - are you kidding? I definitely eat a cup, at least! I'm a growing - okay, maybe not - girl!) Five out of Five Nuts!


Flavor - OH. WHOA. The wheaty bran flakes, nicely sweetened, with the super-sweet (somehow juicy!) currants and crunchy clusters of granola blow your tastebuds away - but wait! What's that? WALNUTS? They're chopped up pretty small, the perfect size to add a buttery, nutty burst to your mouthful of pure YUM. The only thing that I would change is - oh, wait. I wouldn't. Though flax seeds might add a nice, subtle burst? Four and a Half out of Five Nuts!

Texture - Again, the dense bran flakes, crunchy granola clusters, crunchy-chewy walnut bits, and tender currants make for an all around stunning mouth feel. On some creamy greek yogurt, it's an absolute texture symphony. Five out of Five Nuts!


Visual - I don't know about you, but I think it looks pretty great! It looks wholesome, not like those scary, radioactively colored sugar cereals (you know what I'm talking about) and the currants add a nice burst of (natural) color. Five out of Five Nuts!


Nutrition - Nit-picky nutritionists tend to recommend cereals with around 5 grams of sugar, so the 10 gram figure for this one isn't too stellar. Then again, some of that sugar comes from the currants - it would be interesting to know how much. That aside, the knock-out 7 grams of fiber blow my mind, the 5 grams of protein are super useful for my vegetarian self, and the cereal covers you pretty well for vitamins and minerals. Particularly for vegans: one serving contains 100% of you daily value of B12! And mothers-to-be? 100% of your folic acid. And it's tasty! Further, it's whole-grain, has no high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated/trans fats, and contains brain-boosting Omega-3s from those yummy-yummy walnuts! Four out of Five Nuts!


Price - Again, this is where Kashi drops the ball. They make such yummy, pretty healthy products, but then they price them such that they aren't really a viable option for a lot of people! The box only holds six servings, but costs $4.99! That's close to a dollar per serving! Okay, okay - 83 cents, but chances are you aren't eating it dry. So you'll have to tack on the cost of milk, yogurt, etc. Again, coupons, please? You'll have to wait for a sale, but in my experience, sales on Kashi U are pretty rare... Two and a Half out of Five Nuts!

That comes to an overall score of Three and a Half out of Five Nuts! And, really, it's the price issues that bring that down (this is, after all, a college kid's food blog). I know Kashi probably has to charge an arm and a leg for their products, considering how much their quality ingredients probably cost them and the fact that they're still, first and foremost, a for-profit business, but I do wish they'd work out some kind of coupon deal with retailers. They're a little slow to jump on the bandwagon with that one!Still, I'll be eating this again - that's for sure!

*Hint, hint* I see a Kashi Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar product review in the near future... :)

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai