Nov 17, 2011

A "Recipe" and Exotic Fruits

What are pumpkin party oats? They're oats with pumpkin that inevitably lead to a taste bud party!



Pumpkin Party Oats

* Muesli (whatever amount is right for you, I used around 1/2 a cup)
* 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin
* 1/3 cup buttermilk
* Handful of blueberries (best frozen, because then you get fun temperature and texture contrasts!)
* Cinnamon
* Sweetener (optional, to taste - I think the frozen blueberries and the dried fruits in the muesli make it sweet enough)

1) Heat up the pumpkin (either a minute in the microwave or you can cook it on a stovetop).

2) Glob the pumpkin into a bowl (from which you will eat the yumminess). Stir in the muesli. Don't add the muesli while the pumpkin is still cooking, or the oats will start too cook in oatmeal style - unless you want that. But I don't!


3) Mix in the cinnamon and however much sweetener of whatever variety you like best.

4) Sprinkle the blueberries on top.

5) pour the buttermilk on top. Get excited for the hot, soft pumpkin/cold, crisp blueberries/cool, sour buttermilk/chewy, hearty oats/crunchy seeds/sweet dried fruits combo.

And, if you're supercool like me, you can throw on a handful of crunchy puffed chocolate spelt cereal. Or chocolate cheerios/puffins (never had the latter, but I've heard the word 'puffins' being thrown around a lot).


It's up to you to decide if that's a recipe or a food combo. But really, who cares? It's tasty!

And now, for the exotic fruits portion of the post:


PERSIMMON = Looks like an orange tomato and has a mouthfeel like a tomato (minus the watery, pulpy tomato innards) but is really sweet and kind of peachy...but firmer. It was good, but won't become a staple for me. I prefer either berries or heartier fruits (like apples, pears, or bananas - I find them much more satisfying).


STARFRUIT = Apple + lemon. It's a pity that I didn't get a picture of my starfruit pucker. Again, it's not really my thing - it would be super refreshing in the summer, or grate as a topper on baked goods/ yogurt bowls/etc, but it's just a little too intense to enjoy a plate of.

Though that is one pretty plate...


I also tried a CACTUS FIG. Sadly, I don't have any pictures. Why sadly? Because it was delicious! I don't even know how to describe it - it was so delicious and amazing, especially cut into a bowl of quark and walnuts and I pretty much had a foodgasm.


Now go buy a cactus fig. Also known as a prickly pear. Just do it, even if you have to sell your first born.

Well, okay, maybe not then. :P

It's FRIDAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Do you ever get in a capital letters kind of mood?

What are you doing this weekend?


Favorite fruit?

9 comments:

  1. I love adding pumpkin to oatmeal - especially with some nuts and dried cranberries. It's like Thanksgiving for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I can't believe I haven't gotten on that until now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried either of those fruits! Good for your for branching out though :) Favorite fruit? oh man I can't say just one! Apples, berries, pineapple... umm grapes, melons, ahh so many, me love fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessa - I know, fruit is so delicious! Veggies are tasty, too, but let's be honest : if veggies tasted like fruits, you wouldn't even need the three-a-day veggie campaign. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE starfruit. Seriously so good. It sucks though, you can never find it down here in Florida and when you their all brown and spoiled from taking too long to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pumpkin party oats idea :)! Puffins! Oh my gosh you must try them, my favorite are cinnamon and peanut butter. I don't really get the hype about persimmons either, they're not that great haha! I need to get my hands on a prickly pear. I love guava!!! Mmmm :)

    This weekend? studying studying studying! YIPPEEEE!! <-- totally get in all caps moods hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe - Maybe its an acquired taste? You're right, though, local fruit always tastes better....

    Kara - I've never tried guava! And I love that you in all caps moods, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had cactus figs once and they were really good! I liked that they tasted so sweet without being "sugary"...You know what I mean? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat - I know exactly what you mean! Soooooo good :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai