Oct 4, 2011

Soygurt? Yosoy?

Whatever you want to call it, I've finally found a vegan substitution for yogurt!


Y'all know I'm a yogurt addict (sorry, my North Carolinian is showing :P ) and I've always said that yogurt and ice cream are the two biggest reasons that I could never be vegan. Well, and honey, but I've already found a sub for that. Plus there's nooch for cheesiness...

But after discovering delicious vegan ice cream, the only thing in the way was yogurt.

Until today...

There was a little bit of separation going on, which looked a little funky, but let's be honest - cow's milk yogurt does it too. And when it was all mixed up, it was lovely:

And voll lecker (totally delicious)! There's definitely a distinct soy-milk flavor, but it's so good. Who doesn't love soy milk? And it was creamy-licious as can be. The perfect base for a yummy yogurt-granola-pumpkin seed-flax seed-dried fruit bowl:

Since I'm trying to gain weight (and it just doesn't make sense to me to eliminate anything if you're trying to gain - now isn't the time to become vegetarian/vegan, unless you already are one) I'm NOT GOING TO BECOME VEGAN NOW. But maybe after I've gained all the weight I want to gain and maintained it for a few years.

Why?

Because (a) veganism is better for the environment, (b) I'm already a vegetarian and I don't like eggs, and (c) I like milk but it doesn't like me (I'm a bit lactose intolerant, so what I currently eat doesn't make me feel as good as I could).

But, again, I don't think everyone should be veg*n and I don't judge people for not being it. Veg*ns aren't better than anyone else - and not necessarily more environmentally friendly, either! I use boatloads of AC and love to travel (plus, I like fashion and am not a let's-all-wear-hemp-potato-sacks kind of girl) so being vegetarian is just how I try to even out my carbon footprint a bit, without compromising my desired lifestyle.

Because being eco-conscious SHOULDN'T be a burden. :)

Anyway...did you notice something new in the bowl?

I bought my first whole pomegranate! See my exotic fruit kick? I threw 1/4 of one into the bowl and ate the other 1/4 straight-up.

I've eaten pomegranate before, but only from the packets of pomegranate seeds/innards, never straight from the fruit.

I'd definitely say they're tastier and juicier straight from the source, but it's such a pain to get them out...I'll probably stick to the pre-seeded ones for the most part.

Unless...do you have any tricks to make eating pomegranates easier?

What's your favorite exotic fruit?

I'm curious about star fruit...have you tried it?

1 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Alpro Soya desserts? They're long life. They come in vanilla, dark choc and milk chocolate. They are AMAZING!! I'm not even vegan and I prefer the vanilla one to custard already and the dark chocolate one is just pure heaven in a pot! Low fat, sugar and high in protein makes them even nicer :) Just a suggestion I think you'd like :D

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai