Jul 31, 2011

Unexpectedly Vegan

I know I'm *supposed* to be saving for Europe, but I was really feeling like spoiling myself with some of my favorite foods for dinner, not the penne pesto and stuffed peppers that seem to rule the eating scene here in the house. The best part about my favorite kind of eating out experience, is that casual dining = not so torturous for the wallet.

Casual, yes:


But I have wanted to try A & B Cafe, secreted away inside this natural food store - love that kind of cafe!, since I got here. And this is my second-to-last weekend! So it was high time.

Once I got inside, I had such a hard time choosing food. Everything looked delicious! It finally came down tofu sushi, buckwheat soba, a hummus sandwich on Ezekiel (yum) bread, and a Kale salad in a creamy dressing. So what did I choose?

None of them!

Sometimes if I can't decide, I just go in a whole different direction.


I was kind of in the mood for beets (a rare, but momentous, occasion) and come on - if you see something with a name like 'knish' can you really resist? I cannot. Nope. Not at all.

And it's good that I didn't!


This was DELICIOUS. The mix of durum flour (what you use to make plain old white pasta) and whole wheat flour made for a chewy, but flavorful crust (?) and the inner mixture of tofu, spices, chopped spinach, etc. was amazing. The texture was very much not tofu-y at all, but rather chewy and kind of like sausage, only waaaaaay better - and free of piggies :)


I'm German and I love my mustard, so slapping some of that on there really ratcheted this up to one of THE BEST SAVORY meals I've eaten in the past year. Scratch that, in my whole life. If you're near Bar Harbor and you think your taste buds might resemble mine (or even if they don't!) try this Knish NOW. There's only one word for it: wowza.

Oh, and is it just me, or is it weird that the organic mustard is beige? I was expecting yellow and this came out...but it was delicious! Also, it was dijon mustard - is dijon mustard always beige? I feel like such a bad German for not knowing...*blushes*

After such a tasty vegan meal, there was only one way to finish of:


Ice cream - or, rather, Rice Dream! I've been meaning to try the Rice Dream Pies for years, as they sounded like they'd be right up my alley, but somehow I just never got around to it. Until tonight. And again, wow am I glad that I did:


Hehe, it looks like a trucker's cap, doesn't it? I think that was just this one, though, not all of them (don't get your hopes up).


Actually, do. Because if you like ice cream and rice milk at all, you'll love this! The rice cream was creamy and delicious, with a welcome hint of rice milk-ish flavor (kind of malt-y, I guess?) and the oatmeal cookies were divinely soft and chewy - and substantial! The chocolate counting was melt in your mouth delicious, smooth, and rich - not icky like most ice cream coatings are.

Seriously, this was one of the best meals I've ever had and it came to under $10. So. Worth. It.

Plus, now I have less of an excuse - I could happily substitute my ice cream with Rice Dream. So it's really just yogurt standing between me and pursuing veganism. If I could find a vegan sub for that, I'd switch over to Rice Dream and call it a day :P

What's the best meal you've had lately?

What's your favorite kind of eatery?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai