Oct 17, 2011

Zucchini-Walnut-Prune Murfins

This was actually meant to be a late-night rendition of OhSheGlows' Zucchini Bread, but because (a) I like changing things and (b) I started without checking that had all (or even half) of the ingredients, it ended up being its own thing. A recipe for Zucchini-Walnut-Prune Murfins (ZWP Murfins, for short).




Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher iodized salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic cane sugar) generous 1/2 cup honey (leave it to me to run out of sugar)
  • 1/3 cup raisins 1/2 cup chopped prunes
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 minutes)
  • 1 & 1/4 cup shredded zucchini (leave skin on), packed
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice 2 tsp. lemony stuff (?)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • No oil 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 & 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used vanilla almond milk) 1 cup whole cow's milk
  • Cinnamon Streusel topping: 2 tsp non-dairy margarine/butter 1 tbsp Artisana Pecan Butter, 1 tbsp coarse sugar (like turbinado) 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F according to Angela's directions - my oven still sucks and this is the last recipe that I'm baking in it! Seriously, I'm not baking anything else until I get a new oven. It keeps messing everything up! Mix the flax egg and set aside.
Oil a regular-sized loaf pan and then line it with parchment paper so you can easily pull out the loaf when cooled.
Line a muffin pan.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (flour, powders, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg,
sugar
,
raisins
prunes, and walnuts).

3. In another large bowl, combine the wet ingredients (flax egg, shredded zucchini,
lemon zest & juice
lemony stuff, honey
maple syrup
, milk).

My funky face when I realized, at 11:30pm, that this was the closest thing that I had to a lemon. My (big, not to be confused with little) sister [who turns 20 today, yay for Big Sis!] says that if the whole medicine thing doesn't work out, I can scare small children for a living. So what would that make me, in professional terms? A clown? The Boogeyman? Lady Gaga?

4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix the batter as spelt flour is delicate. I might have over-mixed - whoopsies!

5. Spoon the batter into prepared
loaf
muffin pan and spread out evenly. Prepare the cinnamon streusel and then sprinkle on top. Bake for about 37-40 minutes at 400F or until toothpick comes out clean. Trust Angela with this step, my oven was a total fail, as usual - overdone on the top, underdone on the bottom!

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai