Dec 2, 2011

Deep Dish Brownies (aka: Chocolate Protein Delight)

I already miss all of my coworkers at the hospital soooooo much - and I just finished! They're the sweetest, nicest people ever and if I were ever sick, I'd want them to be my nurses. The good-bye party they threw for me was amazing and their gifts and cards were far too sweet. Mwah, mwah, miss you guys!

Oh, I think I'm going to cry. I'm just so grateful to have had the opportunity to work (I use the term loosely, since I was an unpaid intern) with such amazing people.

And now, since I have time on my hands and *finally* got access to a functional oven (go figure that it'd be in my last week here), I'm going crazy in the kitchen.

No, really. What else do you call it when you bake a chocolatey dessert with whole grains, beans, lettuce, and stevia (don't forget to enter my giveaway before Dec. 4!) all at the same time? These are the brownies featured in my WIAW.



Deep Dish Brownies (aka: Chocolate Protein Delight)

1 small head of lettuce (or 1/2 of a regular one), rinsed and chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
250 g. giant white beans, rinsed
~100g kidney beans, rinsed
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. shredded flax seeds
1/2 c. almond meal
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (or white flour, oat flour, gluten free flour, etc.)
1/2 c. baking cocoa
7 packets of NuStevia NoCarbs Blend
2 Tbsp. milk (or almond/soy milk, to make it vegan)


1) Blend the lettuce, oil, and beans to a mush in your overworked blender (or fancy food processor, depending on what end of the food chain you stand on).

2) Mix the baking soda, baking powder, flax seeds, almond meal, whole wheat flour, baking cocoa, and NuStevia in a separate.

3) Add the lettuce mush to the dry ingredients, don't overmix. Add milk to thin, then sample the batter. If you want it to be sweeter, add more stevia (or alternate natural sweetener) to taste.




Best part of baking egg-free? EATING THE BATTER! :D

4) Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes.

5) Slice, then freeze/refrigerate to set.



OH MY PRICKLY PURPLE PETUNIAS. This is one taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastilicious deep dish brownie, especially topped with a scoop of quark or vanilla ice cream. If you're feeling like having a tastegasm, add some microwaved raspberries (just to the point that the juice starts running out) and then wonder how on earth something so healthy can be soooooo delicious.

I mean:

* Healthy fats (olive oil, almond meal, flax seeds)
* No sugar (just stevia)
* Antioxidants (dark chocolate)
* Whole grain
* High protein (legume city, guys!)
* Veggie serving (lettuce)

Sounds healthy to me, doesn't it sound healthy to you? I mean, you could eat several servings as a healthy meal, if you aren't the type to be overwhelmed by so much sweet and indulgent awesomeness. I'd rather eat this than a bowl of bean chili any day of the week!



Sadly, I have no pretty pictures (I made it late at night and the lighting is crappy). But trust me, it's delicious. Especially crumbled on top of yogurt. Or served a la mode with vanilla bean ice cream (the good stuff) and peanut butter ALL OVER. :P


HAPPY DECEMBER 2!!!

*I swear I'm not on drugs, Christmas and awesome coworkers just makes me so happy. I'm so happy I could scream!


Did you try the recipe? Please link back if you do, and please let me know if you post about it - I want to see your thoughts! :)

Have you grabbed the button, made your bucket list, and joined NaNeFoMo yet? I'm hoping that's a yes! If you post about your NaNeFoMo eats, I'd love it if you'd email links to those posts to livinglearningeating (AT) googlemail (DOT) com. I'm going to try to do wrap-up posts every now and then (ideally every week) with links and pics from some of your awesome new eats! :)

13 comments:

  1. This look fantastic! And I really interested in how many different ingredients there are in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this brownie/protein delight goodness in my life. Like now. I will definitely give it a whirl and let you know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you! And thanks for stopping by, Molly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh looks good! I love how you come up with such cool recipes that include foods like lettuce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, believe me - I go through a LOT of dunces before I find something that (a) not only the pigs will eat (aka, why it's handy to have an uncle down the street who raises pigs), and (b) is actually delicious enough to post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought to put lettuce in baked goods! I'll have to try it out. Chocolate makes everything taste good :) what size pan or baking dish did you use??

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's terribly delicious. :) I used a standard cast iron skillet pan - so a 10" diameter! I definitely wouldn't go bigger, because then the brownies end up less deep-dish and not as fudgy/chewy/awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are cuhraaaazay girl. In an awesome way of courseee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah!! You have no idea how much I love healthified treats! I'm so excited to keep reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chloe - haha, thanks. ;)

    Amelia - Yay! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ingredients in this brownie...very healthy and interesting!
    It's always the foods that don't look pretty that taste the best :)
    Awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I love making amazingly delicious recipes out of good-for-you stuff (everything's good for you in amounts, but you know what I mean - the stuff that most people have trouble getting enough of, ie; veggies, beans, whole grains, etc.). But, like I said to Shannon, it takes a ton of tries to get anything super fantastico yummy! Which is why I average around 1, or less, recipes at the moment. :P

    I hope you enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai