Dec 12, 2011

Magic Beans

North Carolina just has better lighting than Germany (in winter). Period.


It would have been such a pity to photograph this pretty plate of yumminess in anything less than ideal lighting. Don't you agree?

Roasted acorn squash with cinnamon (yes, the store ran out of kabocha >< ), with WholeSoy & Co unsweetened plain soygurt (creamy and delightful, but with definitely edamame/soy flavor - it takes some getting used to), magic beans, flax seed, walnuts, and some Sunfood Incan berries that I got in the mail.



This was sooooo good! 

I loved the WholeSoy & Co. soygurt, because even though it took a few bites to adjust to the flavor, it was nice to have a non-dairy alternative to yogurt that isn't ridiculously stuffed with sweeteners. And non-dairy yogurt = a happier stomach for my somewhat lactose-intolerant self. I'm glad I got the chance to sample it and I'm definitely heading over to the grocery store for more!


Incan berries trump raisins/craisins times a thousand!

They're soooooooo sweet, even without added sugar (I'm looking at you, craisins) and have crazy protein and iron. Where??? They taste like sweet & tangy candy! Candy that's good for your immune system and improves circulation, that is. ;)


Okay, now that I've tortured you with pictures and pictures of my magic beans, here's the 2 second recipe:

Magic Beans

* 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed,
* 2 tsp. olive oil

1) Mash it all together with a fork. Enjoy rich chocolaty yumminess with a protein kick. ;)

Have you ever tried soygurt?

What's your favorite dried fruit?

How often do you try blog recipes?

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I've never tried soygurt but I really like the tangy sourness of traditional yogurt - it'd be super interesting to try soy milk yogurt, or any other non-dairy yogurt though. My favourite dried fruit's probably raisins! Especially soaked in water. Mmm. All plump and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. soy yogurt is actually one of my favourites. I love whole soy as well!! That said, I do love plain regular yogut, but I love any yogurt as long as it isn't sweetened or flavoured. I love plain so much. more beany/tangy the better!
    I love those berry things! I got them in a sampler I got in the mail over here and they were perfectly tangy and tart. I don't love raisins that much for all their sweetness, and crasins not so much for all their added sugar, but those were nice.
    and I am such a huge fan of sweet beans. Great way to get protein for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyn - I like raisins...but not soaked in water! That texture creeps me out! :P

    Hannah - I don't get why they sweeten yogurts so much. It just doesn't taste good and is so unnecessary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using beans in a sweet rather than savory way. It's surprisingly delicious! And squash as well, since I'm also a big fan of kabocha for breakfast. I hate when the store runs out, so I feel for ya! Nothing compares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could stomach beans,I'd truly love to try out yout recipe,it sounds so delicious! :(
    However,I love soy soy yoghurt! Especially the plain,unsweetened one - I hate it when yoghurt tastes just... sugary.
    My favorite dried fruit... Raisins,I guess! As a child,I used to hate them,but they are soooo yummy!
    P.S. : No problem,I think you deserve the award! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is awesome and so healthy. Good heavens. I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara - I made the most amazing whole grain black bean brownies (32% protein in one bar!) last night. I'll post the recipe sometime this week!

    Kat - Once you're healthy, maybe you'll be able to handle beans? They're so yummy! And you're so sweet, thanks. :)

    Hollie - DO IT. It's good! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh k i need to try those incan berries. i'm a HUGE raisin fan so they sound right up my alley! what a funky plate, it all looks so tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren - You should, they're sooooooo good! My new addiction. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for good lighting!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious! WholeSoy & Co yogurt has become one of my favorite non-dairy yogurts. That was the hardest thing to give up when I went vegan, so finding a good substitute was crucial!
    By the way, my package from NuNaturals came today!! Everything looks AMAZING and I can't wait to start using it all. Thank you soooo much for hosting the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome, Emily! Have (yummy) fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried Soygurt..its not sold here in Germany :(
    My favorite tried fruit would have to be cranberries and banana chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your eats look awesome!! I loooove raisins :]

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looooove whole soy and co.! The unsweetened plain is definitely my favorite. I always thought the sweetened ones tasted too over the top and fake. I eat a whole container every week with granola. Super delicious and filling breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Except I eat 2+ tubs per week, unless I have a lot of Chobani that week. What can I say? I love yogurt :)

      Delete
  15. Have you ever tried soygurt?
    Yep...love it!
    What's your favorite dried fruit?
    Figs. :)
    How often do you try blog recipes?
    Not often enough!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai