Jan 6, 2012

Trends that I *Don't* Want to See Again

Have you ever had one of those moments when you looked back on some trends and thought 'How the heck did anyone think that looked good?'

Um, hello, 90s.


I hope that nothing from the 90s ever comes back to life. Yes, I was alive for most of the nineties (1993 was a good year - Nelson Mandela won the Nobel Peace Prize, the US Senate lifted economic sanctions against South Africa, and I was born. All really important :P ) but I was too young to defend myself against the fashion atrocities of the time.

So those sparkly jeans?


Those terrible sweatshirts?

And the sweaters that zipped open from both ends?


Forgive me my (fashion) sins, I was young and did not know better.

Which isn't to say that I know better now.

I'm sure I make many fashion faux pas. I mean, how can you not?

There's always that outfit, the one that could be either terribly fashion-forward or terribly unfortunate. If you're not willing to give it a go, and risk ultimate (fashion) disaster, you'll be stuck wearing jeans and cardigans day in and day out. That's okay sometimes (guilty - hello, finals period?) but clothes are too much fun to be scared.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2012 has in store for us! As long as we don't try to bring the 90s back (we've brought back leggings, skinny jeans, high waists, maxi dresses, and low hemlines with various degrees of success from earlier decades already) I'm happy.

I'm crossing my fingers for bubble skirts, dresses, and delicate, sweet styles, though!

Oh, and here's a breakfast trend I'm enjoying:


Chocolate (black bean) breakfast cakes. Yum.


What do you think was the worst decade in fashion history?


Is there anything you either *really* want to see or really *don't* want to see in 2012?

23 comments:

  1. Haha 90s clothes were pretty bad. I wouldn't mind never seeing bedazzled denim or sparkly jeans ever again either! ;)
    Your breakfast looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my little brother was born in '93! i'm a 1990 baby ;). the fashion was questionable (overalls? neon oversized clothing? gaudy hair clips? had them, but i'm quite a fan of the music and tv shows!

    and i just got my manna bread in the mail ...looks like I know what I'm having for breakfast! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang I guess I should take off my sparkle jeans... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the 90s. The fashion may have been BAD, but everything else about the decade was just so perfect. Those were the best days, ever <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAAHA. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed 90% of those clothing items as a young child. Please still be my blogging bffer. I was so sad that old navy sold out of sparkly jeans before I could buy a pair. Embarrassing fun facts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandra - Thank you, it was! Let's please *never* have the 90s fashion come back. SHUDDER.

    Rahcel - Yay '93 babies! :P Wait, I'm trying to think what the music was...Have a tasty breakfast!

    recoveringfree - Bwahaha! Do you still have a pair? My mom still has mine and asked my little sister (6) if she wanted them. One look and an emphatic "NO."

    caloricandcrazy - Hmm...I don't remember that much else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wore blue glitter jeans to my first day of 8th grade. I thought I was the COOLEST! haha I guess you only remember the bad outfits, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stefanie - AHH, too true! Baby blue glitter bell bottoms? I thought I was the coolest kid in second grade. Oh, fashion follies are good fodder for later laughs.

    I bet we'll all laugh at jeggings some day. Actually, I'm laughing now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha the 90s were SO bad! I was born in 1992, but I can remember wearing pastel colored jeans (like pink and aqua) and butterfly clips all the time in elementary school. It was pretty awful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH WOW, butterfly clips. I almost forgot about those! Mine were glittery, of course, as everything is better with glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaaahahahaha I had sparkly jeans!! Oh Lord, some things should never re-surface. Great post!

    Xo Ange
    ladyhub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! Sparkly jeans! Oh my goodness. Do you remember those stretchy "choker" necklaces?! I used to love them in the 90's. haha.
    Such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHAHAHA but the make pretty funny pictures!!! hehe love digging up old photos and thinking "How did that even became cool??!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Angela! :)

    Emily - I *loved* the chokers so much and wouldn't wear anything that dangled below my collarbone. Wearing chokers in the summer was the worst, though, because they'd always get so scratchy!

    Vien - I know! Did you fall for the punk-chic fashion trend? Disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hhahaha the sparkly jeans... oh boyy
    These pictures are great girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even when not a source of fabulousness, fashion is an endless source of entertainment. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am ashamed to say that I loved those sweaters that zipped from both ends. When I finally got one as a hand-me-down in the early 2000s my mom broke it after we got drenched on Splash Mountain in Disneyland. I was trying to take it off over my head, she unhooked it and it never worked again. I was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's okay, I loved them, too. :P Especially after Sabrina the Teenage Witch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sparkly Jeans?! ABSOLUTE no-no; I also have to say I'm not a huge fan of the velevet/waxy jean trend- ughhh.
    A trend I think needs to burn? Bellbottoms/flared jeans...just cannot work for us short people no matter what

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh, velvet pants (and most other velvet things) are atrocious. YES! I look like I'm about 4" tall in bellbottoms - NOT okay!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi dear, thank you for your comment on my blog, your blog is lovely and I have to say I totally agree with you on these ones, I don’t want to see this trends again either. Your blog is lovely by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Sara! Your blog is awesome, too. Following! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai