Mar 3, 2012

Review: FitBar!

So we had some pretty nasty weather recently.

Cold. Wet. Things falling out of the sky. You get the picture.

I was like 'HELLO? You've been nice to me all January and February, but now March rolls around and you're like - JK! I'M BAAAAAAACK.'

No, winter, not cool. This isn't the you that I was welcoming back in December. And haven't you heard of overstaying your welcome? Just like it's your turn to take over from fall when December 1 rolls around, it's spring's turn once March 1 rolls around.

Now that we're on the same page, I'd really appreciate it if you'd take the back door out and leave me to my 60 and 70 degree days, cute spring dresses, and happy-dappy self. Please and thank you.

Anyway, something made me happy even while the rain was single handedly conspiring to simultaneously soak me and give me a multiple-day-long bad hair day (bad hair half week?).


What's that in my mouth? Food, duh.

But what kind of food? A NEW BAR!!!

Yes, I get so excited, it's ridiculous. I looooooove bars. I think I've mentioned this before. There's something about the bar form that's just so appealing to me - and they're so handy (great for busy-bee me, with my gazillion clubs, gazillion little projects, 5-hour labs, gazillion assignments, three jobs, and OH YEAH. Class. What's that thing that people supposedly do at night called? Sleep? Hm, not too familiar with that...)

Anyway, I got samples from this new (to me) bar called FitBar. I won't accept samples from just any bar, because I usually review what I sample and I don't want to review something that's chock-full of stuff that I just can't feel good about standing behind. Even if I write 'ew, gross, it was nasty!' that's still publicity of some sort. And if it's got petroleum in it...

Anyway, FitBars don't. Have petroleum in them, that is. NOPE. They're all-natural, gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, VEGAN (are you reading this Emily? Ashley?), kosher, diabetic-friendly, and high in protein. Instead of nasty fake stuff, they've got stuff like almonds, organic agave syrup, soy nuts, cranberries, and raspberries (among others) getting you those healthy fats, carbs, and protein that you need to power through a high-energy lifestyle (AHEM, mine?).


I tried the Berry Almond Crunch first, but there's also Granola Crunch, Peanut Butter Crunch, Chocolate Brownie, and Almond Crunch.


It's a pretty big bar! That's kind of hard to show in a photograph, but you're standard 220 calorie nutrition/protein bar seems not as big/heavy to me. I kind of liked the substance. :) More bar for me!


And I was super-surprised by the texture! I was expecting a hard bar with maybe a chewy, protein bar-y interior. Instead, I got something that had the same mouth feel as the almond butter at the bottom of the jar of crunchy almond butter, if you don't stir it up enough so it's thick down there. Only with maybe agave syrup mixed in, because it wasn't dry - it was sweet and chewy, but really rich and stick-to-your-teeth in that delightfully decadent way.

I mean, check it out!


It's a beauty. And DELICIOUS! Not only was the mouth-feel super awesome and I got a really decadent dessert (that was actually super-good for me with 3g of fiber, 18g of protein, and 14g of healthy, natural sugars (significantly lower than a similar candy bar - like, say, Pay Day...hmm, not as yummy. I can't think of one that's as yummy), but it also had this fantastic flavor that almond butter lovers will adore.

I'm not one to eat plain nut butters (they have to be with fruit or something sweet) so the nice berry flavor under the strong almond flavor was quite nice. And I love how they didn't feel the need to die it some funny color, just to make it look like what people expect when they hear 'berry crunch.'

 I really enjoyed this. Which was nice, considering the ickiness outside. At least there's yumminess in my tummy, keeping me going!

I'm writing this tonight, to post tomorrow. Girl's gotta go to sleep. After that p-set. And that paper. And those emails. And...

Oops, sorry! Too busy taking on the world. At least I'm well-fueled. ;)

Do you like being busy?


Have you ever tried FitBars?


Do you have awkward pictures of yourself stuffing your face? See above.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh these Fit Bars look really good! I'll have to grab one if I see it around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars look delish! I'm surprised they don't have that weird energy-bar aftertaste? Anyways, if you say almond butter lovers will rejoice, I guess I'd be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not at all! Sometimes I actually like that aftertaste, but I'm glad that these didn't have it - it really made you feel like you were eating big spoonfuls of crunchy almond butter & jam! Only without the terrible stomachache that eating such a big bar's worth of almond butter would give you, since they are bulked up with protein. :)

      Delete
  3. I have heard those bars taste awesome. Thanks for the review, i'll have to keep an eye out for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! And no problem, always happy to eat for a good cause. Haha :P

      Delete
  4. I've never tried Fitbars before. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. With so many different bars on the market it can be challenging to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's why I love reviews and reading others' reviews (with pictures)! If everyone agrees that a bar is gross, there's no need for me to bother trying it - there are SOOOOO many bars out there! :P

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of these before, but I'm glad to see they're vegan! I love how more companies are making vegan-friendly bars now that actually taste good. The berry almond one sounds really good, I'll be on the lookout for them!

    Sorry about the weather! We've actually had a pretty cold/cloudy/snowy winter, which I have totally hated, but the past few days have been totally spring-like. However, March is the snowiest month here in CO, so I'm still expecting more snow :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how many bars are *not* vegan until I started having vegan readers comment! It's been really eye-opening - I just always think 'oh, it's a protein bar, it should be fine.' I agree, though - there's really not much reason why bars shouldn't be vegan and it's great when they are!

      I'm just sooooooo ready for spring. It's supposed to get nice later this week, but then we go home for spring break. Hopefully it's still nice (and stays nice/gets nicer!) when we come back!

      Delete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai