Aug 16, 2012

A Decision and A Review

Before I start this post (though I guess that, technically, this is the start of the post) I'd like to share something.

As some of you know, I've been using the second half of my stay in NYC to try to eat a more vegan diet. I was never strict with it and ate non-vegan foods on several occasions (like during my trip to LA - no need to be that diva on set who needs her own special vegan everything. If it's good enough for the rest of the talent and crew, it's good enough for me).

But though I've eaten dairy and eggs here and there (I never really included honey as a non-vegan food, as I really don't believe that it's bad for the environment, or the bees, to eat honey) I've mainly avoided dairy and eggs in the interest of forcing myself to try new things and not just stick to my usual favorites.

I've definitely discovered some new faves, and had some fun thinking outside of the box, but I'm returning to lacto-ovo vegetarianism. While I'm going to try to include vegan foods more, and rely less on dairy (as in, not eat dairy four or five times per day), at this time I do not believe in the social restriction that's currently a given with veganism.

While a vegan diet may not be, in and of itself, restrictive in terms of food (though people often do use it as a mask or tool for restriction), it is unarguable that it does entail social restriction. If you're eating with your parents, going out with friends, in the dining hall, eating on an airplane, or heading for catering on a set, getting a fully vegan meal (that isn't just salad and fruit) requires special accommodation and is a heck of a lot more awkward/isolating/a hassle to yourself and others than if you eat a lacto-ovo diet. And, like anything else, I don't think the veg*n lifestyle needs to be taken to extremes - even just eating more vegan foods helps the environment and animals, you don't need to go whole hog.

So for me, trying to be a little more aware of eating as cruelty-free and carbon footprint-minimizing as I can, without inconveniencing others, is currently the best plan. Thus I will try to be aware of my dairy consumption, but I won't cut it out entirely (eggs, on the other hand, I think are easier to avoid and, though I'm not going to be extreme about it, I'll try to avoid them as much as possible - I'm not a fan of how they're produced).

Moving on...

I found a tasty new bar!


Sorry, Zone Perfect Bars (at least the Dark Chocolate Almond flavor they sent me to try) are not vegan, but they are lacto-vegetarian!


And pack a filling 12g of protein, as well as good amounts of several vitamins and minerals.


I was quite pleased when I opened the wrapper to find this super-dark chocolate bar inside. No chalky 'chocolate flavored protein bar' business here. This isn't chocolate flavored - it's actually chocolate.


And I was pleased the the outer chocolate coating had melted a bit in the heat (I think that soft, slightly melted chocolate tastes the best - just like slightly melted ice cream).

It's filled with more chocolate, crunchy soy nuggets, chocolate cookie pieces, and big almonds - YUM. The flavors are all spot on and it's a delightful treat.


These aren't the protein bars our parents grew up with. Because seriously? With bars like these there's no way protein bars would have that (persistent) reputation that they have of being less-than-delicious health food.  With that reasoning, these taste so bad for you.

Have you tried Zone Perfect bars? What's your favorite flavor?


What are you most excited for this week?


What's your favorite nut? Almonds are pretty high up there for me, especially when paired with delicious dark chocolate!

Don't forget to enter my coconut oil giveaway!

19 comments:

  1. I am glad for you and your diet. I hope that you achieve your goals but I am not sold on veganism. I have no desire to try it and the social restriction on being a vegan is enough for me to know that while it is good for you, it is not for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this was actually about how I'm *NOT* vegan...

      Delete
  2. oh I bet it tastes delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think everyone should have the freedom to decide if they want to eat animal products or not. i cut out dairy and eggs from my diet about a week ago, because i had problems with them (ibs and bad stomach issues..). -_-

    i hate the fact that many people are so prejudiced about a vegan diet. you don't have to suffer from deficiency symptom if you don't eat meat or drink milk.
    people don't need to comment on my food choices and be upset about it.
    everytime i visit my grandparents it's really hard for me choosing food i can eat. they don't understand how someone could not want to eat meat. i think it's because they experienced the whole postwar period in germany and so they don't want to abstain something.

    i hate it, when people are angry with me if i won't eat something. it enoys me so much, because i should have the freedom to choose what i want to eat.
    and people shouldn't feel ashamed if they can't offer me something vegan, because it's not their fault the food isn't vegan. like when a friend of mine eats cookies and offers me one, and i kindly refuse it. and then they're so sorry about the fact i can't eat the cookies :D

    oh man, so much "hate" in this comment. i need to clear out, that i'm so happy about the fact that nowdays there are more vegan/vegetarian choices in the supermarket and in restaurants! the cafeteria of my uni offers a vegan menu which is so great!!

    i'm in a writing flow, so i have to add something: i might be allergic to hazelnut o.O i ate milka chocolate twice (which contains hazelnut) and aldi chocolate (also contains hazelnut) and everytime i got little blisters on the inside of my lips. it's so weird.... so no hazelnuts for me, but i love almonds and cashews are yummy, too ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exicted for saturday because I am going to meet a blogger :)
    and I love cashew nuts <3
    and it's no problem when you don't have time for writing comments - I will have the same problem too :(
    school sucks :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark chocolate zone bars are the best! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone just needs to eat the way that works for them! Personally, I feel amazing inside and out eating vegan (I do still eat honey though) and I've been working on being more flexible when eating out. I know I won't always get a really good vegan meal when I'm out so I try to just find something that sounds good and supplement with nuts, vegan bars, etc. if needed to make more of a real meal. Even when I was on vacation in a very small mountain town last week, I didn't have any issues finding vegan food that I actually liked! But to each their own, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great you're so into your healthy eatting and vegan diet, it's really wonderful to read about. Eat how you want and enjoy how you live, I feel like when people disagree with others diets it's their own problem - who are they to judge or force you into something you don't want? I try to eat healthy and gluten free and I feel like people constantly are trying to tempt me into breaking my diet - it's disrespectful I think.
    xx

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your choice to return to lacto-ovo vegetarianism is a great one, because it's what works for you! While I eat a vegan diet, I completely understand that it doesn't work for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. You are so right what you say even eating more vegan meals helps the planet- if everyone simply ate vegan one meal a day, imagine the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck to achieve your diet my friend :)
    And your review looks mighty tasty :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chocolate bar looks very yummy! Yes I definitely agree about the vegan diet! Healthier and low calories

    natzcracker

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire people who choose to go for the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle because of religion, animals, the environment, etc., but definitely NOT as a restriction tool.

    I've been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian all of my life due to cultural reasons, and it's so much easier to just say "I don't eat meat" rather than "I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, etc."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't blame you at all for returning to your vegetarian diet. I admire you SO much for trying out a vegan diet for a few months. You were able to try a ton of new foods and you created lots of delicious recipes!
    I'm not going to lie, if I didn't live in a city like LA I probably wouldn't be a vegan either. It's just too difficult in most areas. Whenever I go home to visit my family, there's literally no restaurants that I can eat at. It's frustrating. So, I completely understand and respect your decision!
    And before I was vegan, I used to LOVE Zone bars. The rocky-road one was my favorite. (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually used to eat the zone bars a lot. Then I grew tired of them. Part of finding out what works for you is finding things that you don't like-so it's def understandable. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai