Aug 25, 2012

The Magic of Make Up and A Great Pre-Show Snack

Guys, I have a confession.

I suck at make-up. All that I can actually do is eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.

And the eyeliner is kind of iffy. It's more like eyesquigler than eyeliner when I use it.

But I loooooooove getting my make up done. It's definitely one of the perks of modeling!

I'm not one of those girls who slouches over to the make-up mirror being like 'don't poke me in the eye' and 'here's what I want to look like' (diva, much?).

I'm like:


And then after the make-up is on, I'm like:


Make-up is so cool because it lets you look different. If you feel like you have to wear make-up all the time, or you aren't pretty without it, then you might want to take a break from make-up. We don't need make-up.

But I don't wear make-up very much and to me make-up is like another accessory. I don't feel like I need it, but I do love seeing how it takes a look over the top!

I go from this:

Me without make-up (on the Amtrak, in case you're wondering, heading back from NYC to Boston after a shoot last semester)
to this:

On the Amtrak back from NYC to Boston after a shoot last semester, when I didn't take off my make-up first.
or this:

After a fashion show at Copley Place last semester.
or this:
After a shoot earlier this summer. The shoot was in a castle in New Jersey, too cool!
or this:

My personal fave, courtesy of a member of Maybelline's traveling team for fashion shows (this was last semester at one of my favorite fashion shows yet)
And don't even get me started on hair.

When wardrobe, hair, and make-up come together, you can't help but have the confidence (even if you're a recovering-shy-girl like me) to go be fierce on a runway!

On the runway at the fashion show for which the last of the above make-up looks was applied - a full four hours before we walked!
The multiple-thousand dollar dresses that I could never otherwise afford to wear don't hurt, either.

Ooh, now I'm all excited for Boston Fashion Week!

Speaking of which...often for shows, you'll have to be backstage hours (like five) before the show. Backstage food can be pretty hit-or-miss, depending on the show and the designer and the catering company. It's important to eat a good meal before you head out, and to pack plenty of pre-show snacks.

Like these:


Perfect Fuel Chocolate is a snack designed for athletes. It's made of organic cacao and is high in antioxidants, has no refined sugar, and provides sustained energy from the winning combo of ginseng and cacao. Many of the things that make Perfect Fuel Chocolate a good snack for athletes are the same things that make them great for me to take backstage!

The squares are individually wrapped, making them convenient to have in your backpack or fanny pack (if you're a cyclist) for an on-the-go nosh.


They're made of just healthy, natural ingredients that will energize you without weighing you down or making you feel sluggish (which, fyi, is pretty important if you're in six inch heels on a three-foot-wide runway).


There's only 3g of sugar in a block, so you don't have to worry about an ill-timed energy crash.


And the blocks are a pretty decent size - just the right size to satisfy, considering the flavor intensity!


They're really flavorful and the ginseng is an unexpected, but delightful, companion to the intense dark chocolate flavor. They aren't particularly creamy, as really dark chocolates tend to be, but the flavor makes up for it and this also means they aren't as prone to get smeary or messy.

Because chocolate all over that $6,000 dress you're wearing? Yeah, you're not going to get rehired.


But these were perfect! I recommend them for exams, shoots, runway shows, traveling, and (of course) athletes and their sporting events/practices.


I'd choose a block of delicious dark chocolate over some multi-colored gummy 'energy shot' full of questionable ingredients any day, wouldn't you?

Don't forget to enter my chocolaty giveaway!

Have you ever tried Ginseng?

Do you like unusual flavor combinations?

What's your favorite thing about make up?

27 comments:

  1. I would love love love if you did more posts like these. I love looking at the modeling world and you are so pretty with/without makeup! Makeup is so neat that it gives you almost a different personality! I don't know-I enjoy crazy makeup personally too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! And you're so sweet :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you that you're really getting into the fashion world and getting gigs! Personally, I don't wear make-up. I used to but then it started giving me acne so I stopped. I much prefer the natural look but you look gorgeous either way! Oh and that chocolate looks sooo good. Chocolates definitely the perfect snack. Andgood luck to you with all of your fashion gigs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chloe, your support means a lot! And you're so sweet :) I've always been funky looking, so I just can't stop smiling!

      Delete
  3. Wow you are just stunning without make up! I wish I had skin like yours! Cool post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I wash with just water, I think all the soaps can sometimes make skin worse!

      Delete
  4. Nice post dear! You're also lovely without make up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great that you're a model! You're my new idol ;) Hehe. It's nice getting to know these things about people :) It's hard for me to put on make up too. I can only put on lipstick and eye shadow. Haha. <3

    http://jasmintriestoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really suck at make-up too, but I'm really trying to improve and get the hang of a good everyday make-up.
    Also, thank you so much for the nice comment on my blog :)
    -P.
    Bowtie Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever wear make up *every* day, but more often would be nice!

      Delete
  7. WOW you're a model?! That's awesome!!! And yummmmmmy chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love that last makeup look on you! I wear makeup pretty much every day, except if I'm going to a pool or waterpark or something, because I look incredibly young without it and I at least want to look a little closer to my age :) But I agree that it's not necessary and I want to someday try going without makeup in public...hopefully I won't get mistaken for a middle-schooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a make-up free challenge where you can't wear it for a week, just to push your comfort zones? That sounds like it might be cool for you! But, personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing make up every day.

      Delete
  9. You look GORGEOUS in all of the makeup photos (although I think you look just as pretty without it!)
    I've always been extremely makeup-challenged. Throughout high school and up until a few months ago I hardly wore any makeup at all...it was just too much of a hassle. But, lately I've been experimenting with it more and I'm having so much fun! One of my good friends is studying cosmetology and has taught me a ton about how to apply my makeup/what looks best/etc. I actually just bought liquid eyeliner yesterday which I thought would be WAY too difficult for me to use...but, I tried it this morning and loved it!
    That being said, I'd much rather have my makeup done professionally. That's the best. Definitely one of the perks of being an actress and model. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And seriously - those two careers are so fun. I wish us luck!

      Delete
  10. You are pretty with or without makeup,Sabrina,but I really like your favorite makeup photo a lot,too. :)
    I don't wear makeup,though,because I am simply too lazy to do so haha... I don't know if it would make me prettier anyways,I think some flaws just can't be covered,in which way ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! But don't be so down on yourself - you're lovely just as you are, without makeup, and I'm sure you'd be lovely with makeup, too! Flaws are lovely, too (I have a birthmark and a lopsided smile), and makeup can do A LOT.

      Delete
  11. You looks gorgeous - like others already said - with and without make-up. It's so interesting to get to know more about the fashion world through your personal experiences.

    Good luck on the Boston Fashion Week show. Will you keep us posted? I'd love to find out more about your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I get photos from the shoots, I'll definitely try to put together a post! If there are any questions you have in specific, feel free to leave them here or send them to me at livinglearningeating AT gmail DOT com and I'll address them in a post soon!

      Delete
    2. Okayyy, so you allowed me to ask the questions I had on the modeling business. Hope I don't come over too nosey, I'm super curious and excited to be able to talk to you as a runway model! Here it goes:

      How long does it take to prepare for a show as in how many days prior are fittings etc.?
      As for me having only gotten to “know” the modeling business through TV shows like “Germany’s next topmodel”: What do you think are some of the biggest misconceptions people have about it?

      Did you ever have to wear something you absolutely disliked so far? How did you still make yourself feel comfortable in it?

      What does a typical day backstage look like for you?

      Some designers are known to be eccentric. Have you worked with one of this kind so far?

      What is the atmosphere like between the models? Did you have to experience jealously and mean comments from others?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the questions! I'm working on a Q&A post right now to answer these - it will be posted on Sunday, October 14, so be sure to check back!

      Delete
    4. Oooh, I'm looking forward to that post - and I hope none of my questions seemed stupid.

      Delete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai