Jan 14, 2014

Recipe Reviews: Coffee Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Stop whatever you're doing.

AND MAKE THESE COOKIES.

Cait's Plate Coffee Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are a new favorite of mine, as well as of the neighborhood children (one of whom demanded that I teach her how to make them).

They're a grown up chocolate chip cookie where the coffee makes the chocolate even mire chocolate-y. Seriously, make these now.

Like right now.

On her blog, they look like this:

IMG 3220

In my reality, they look like this:



My photo is admittedly not stylized, taken at night under fluorescent light (=worst lighting ever), and un-edited. But it gets the idea across that the cookies look like pretty standard oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but hold their shape nicely and don't get too flat. 

I made a few changes (I know you're all so surprised, since I normally follow directions so well...right). 

Changes to the recipe:

* 1/2 cup of unsalted butter instead of the 1/2 cup of Earth Balance

* All-purpose flour instead of white whole wheat flour

* slightly less than a teaspoon of instant coffee, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves instead of the teaspoon of Baker's brew coffee spice

* 2 Tbsp. less than 1/2 cup of white sugar and 2 Tbsp. of honey instead of the 1/2 cup of brown sugar

* Regular chocolate chips instead of mini chocolate chips

I also didn't use the optional milk, as I found that my dough wasn't too crumbly (probably since I used some honey), but that wasn't really a change to the recipe, since that was optional to start with.

I found the cookies really easy to make and everyone loved them. I get bored by chocolate chip cookies sometimes because they're so plain and, well, boring. The coffee spice and texture from the oats kept these interesting and I liked them!

As did my little sister's best friend, who demanded that I teach her how to make them, and my little sister, who demanded that I teach our mom how to make them. 


She's adorable.

I will try to try these with the white whole wheat flour that the recipe calls for sometime, as whole wheat generally just tastes better to me, but even my makeshift version of the recipe turned out really well. 

This recipe gets a thumbs-up!

Do you substitute on purpose in recipes or because you realize you're missing ingredients? It's generally the latter for me, but we can pretend that it's the former and I have my glitter together.

Did you become more or less bossy as you grew up?

What are the most boring foods in your opinion? Sugar cookies, plain chocolate chip cookies, fluffy cake, plain pasta, water chestnuts (in Asian food), mousse, and cheese sandwiches without some sort of tomato or veggie or something bore me beyond belief. I can't be bothered.

2 comments:

  1. Those look and sound amazing! Also, thank you for posting an unflattering yet realistic photo of food. It's so hard to live up to those bloggers who have the nicest lighting and cameras! I plan to make these soon!

    Angela
    Lovely Llorys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I want to see what food would look like if I made it for a party, not what it looks like with soft lighting and photoshop. These *are* amazingly delicious, though, I recommend trying them!

      Delete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai