Feb 22, 2014

Recipe Review: Starbucks Restaurant Copycat Recipe

My big sister introduced me to this Starbucks Very Berry Coffeecake Copy-Cat Recipe over winter break. At first, I wasn't too enthused about the recipe - I'm not a big fan of desserts that lack chocolate (unless they're frozen/ice cream/ice cream-y). 



Because where's the chocolate?

Beyond that, I'm really not a huge Starbucks fan. Don't get me wrong, I like them as much as the next girl - but I don't go out of my way to find a Starbucks unless I'm really caffeine-deprived and then it's the tea and frappuccinos that I'm bee-lining for, not the pastries. When I do go for a sweet treat at Starbucks, it's more often a cookie or brownie than a slice of cake.

Still, I allowed myself to be persuaded to give the recipe a go. 


Thank goodness. It's ridiculously yummy! The combination of the tart lemon zest and creamy tart sour cream (I used Hood All-Natural Sour Cream to add that extra moistness that make this cake an mmmmm good treat) take this above and beyond your traditional coffee cake.


It's easy to make, the ingredients aren't too crazy, and my goodness is the addition of the sour cream and lemon zest brilliant! 


You don't even need much sour cream - just 3 Tbsp. in the full recipe for a whole 9" square cake (I quartered the recipe to make just a mini loaf pan, since I was baking just for one) - but including that little bit of sour cream makes all the difference.


I followed this recipe to the letter, with the exception of mixing by hand (I didn't have an electric mixer #studentproblems), adding a little squeeze of lemon juice since I couldn't find my grater and didn't feel like zesting by hand with a knife, and using frozen instead of fresh mixed berries for convenience.


I really recommend giving this recipe a whirl! And check out my Ultra Easy Twice Baked Potatoes recipe to use up the rest of your tub of sour cream!

What's your favorite thing at Starbucks?

What are your favorite secret ingredients?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai