Mar 26, 2014

Recipe Review: Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's been a while since I reviewed someone else's recipe, hasn't it? Sounds like it's time to head back to the kitchen (and with a recipe instead of just whimsy and spices)!

Today's recipe is Averie Cooks' Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Here's what the cookies look like on her blog:

Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies - No butter & no mixer used in these easy cookies dripping with chocolate. Recipe at averiecooks.com

Here's what they look like in real life:



Huge difference, no? They were still delicious (they look big - they were big. Like mall cookie or bake sale big, but that's not in the recipe - I made them like that because I didn't want to want to bake batch after batch of cookies, or I wouldn't make it to the library before closing time).



I also made a few changes to the recipe, though, so perhaps they do look like they do on her blog if you follow the recipe down to the letter. Since I didn't have brown sugar, however, I used a mix of white sugar and honey. Since I was out of coconut oil and there wasn't a Whole Foods or other overpriced hippie food store (I love Whole Foods, but they are what they are) around the corner, I used melted margarine instead of coconut oil.

Coconut oil solidifies differently than melted margarine, so that could likely explain rising/shape differences.


Still, the batter looked delicious and I had to beat the children away with a spoon (kidding! No child abuse here) since there's an egg in it and raw eggs are a babysitting no-no.

The cookies were still delicious, however, and all of the different flavors made them more interesting than a typical chocolate chip cookie.


I would definitely like to try this again when I have brown sugar and coconut oil on hand, because I think this recipe has keeper potential.

If, you know, I actually followed it properly.

 What are some of your most useful baking subs for missing ingredients?

Do you like lots of flavors or a few simple flavors?

What should I bake or cook next?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai