Mar 31, 2014

Recipe: Simple Scones

The internet is such a fun place to foster and share creativity (safely, of course).
But despite the temptation to bake all the recipes NOW (I'm looking at you, Pinterest), sometimes it's fun to go back to my own staple recipes. One favorite in my favorite is scones!


They're simple, they're quick to make, they don't require any special ingredients...they're a perfect afternoon tea time snack! No advance planning required, you can even whip up a batch really quickly when guests stop by unannounced (as I frequently have - my little sister's best friend lives next door and sometimes confuses our house for hers. She's adorable).

Simple Scones
Makes 8

2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder (not a typo - a whole TABLEspoon!)
0.5 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
0.25 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk (I have used both whole and 2% milk before, based on what I found in the fridge, with equivocal success. I would not recommend skim milk, however, as that's a quite different watery mess)

 1) Preheat oven to 425 F.

2) Mi flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.

3) Grate butter in with a fork.

Or cut them in if you don't mind extra finger mixing!

4) Mix it all together with your fingers until it's a bowl full of fine crumbles.


5) Add sugar, toss to mix.

6) Stir in milk (with the fork used in step 3) until the dough comes together.



7) Form into a ball.



8) Roll into a 6" circle (no need to measure, just approximate - baking is relaxation time, not neurotic Type A time).


9) Cut into eight wedges. Try to keep the wedges more or less equal in size so that they bake evenly.



10) Place the wedges on a greased baking sheet, leaving a little room between them (so that they don't bake into one big glob - that's attractive. Not).


11) Bake 12-15 minutes in pre-heated oven, or until golden brown on the top and bottom.

I find that 15 minutes is usually the better approximation of baking time.

12) Cool on a cooling rack, NOT the baking sheet. If you cool them on the baking sheet, they take a gabajillion years to cool and they get soggy, to boot. NO.

13) Serve with jam of choice (I recommend homemade!) and freshly whipped cream. Just slice the scone down the middle to add a dollop of each before sandwiching the top back on!

These taste best served fresh from the oven, so bake them half an hour to an hour before you wish to serve them and try to finish them in just a day. If you live by yourself and a whole tray is too much for you to do justice to by yourself, this is the perfect time to make the neighbors love you!

Do you like tea time? Tweet it!

1 comments:

  1. I honestly don't think they could get any easier than that. They look really good too. I might need to give these a whirl soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai