Mar 22, 2014

Recipe: Southern Pecan Pie

Pecan pie is my hands-down favorite pie. 

No holiday season is complete without pecan pie! It's the Thanksgiving food to me, y'all can keep your turkey. Sometimes I even spread the joy to Christmas or New Year's Eve, but keeping it as a special Thanksgiving treat makes Thanksgiving Day all the more special to me!


I'm going to skip the blah-blah-blah and get straight to the recipe, because this is a real keeper!

Southern Pecan Pie
Makes 8 scrumptious slices



* 1 pie crust (I used Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Shell - but not the whole wheat one, so I can't vouch for that)
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 c. butter, melted
* 1 c. light brown sugar 
* 1/4 c. white sugar

* 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 1 Tbsp. whole milk
* 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
* 1 c. chopped pecans
* Extra pecans (whole) for decorating



1) Preheat oven to 325F. Toast chopped pecans for 12-15 minutes.

Pre-chopping, but aren't they pretty?
2) Beat eggs until foamy in a large bowl.

3) Add melted butter, mix.

4) Stir in sugars and flour, mix well.

5) Add milk, vanilla, and chopped nuts, mix well (but don't over-mix, you're making pie, not bread). 

6) Pour evenly into the unbaked crust.

7) Top with whole pecans in whatever pattern you like, or just evenly across. Don't press down.

8) Bake for 55-70 minutes, until center is set and the crust is golden brown (but not burnt). 

Make it now. Seriously. Make. It. Now. It's delicious!



And, unlike most pecan pies, it doesn't require corn syrup. This not only makes it healthier, but also makes it more likely that you'll have all the ingredients on hand! I almost always have sugar in the kitchen, but rarely corn syrup.

Love Thanksgiving desserts? Tweet it!

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai