For those of you who are already fans of African cuisine, this recipe is flavorful and well-spiced. For those who haven't tried much African food yet, but love sweet potatoes (and I know a lot of you do) this is a healthy and delicious meal with sweet potatoes.
1) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2) Once the oil is hot, add the onion and saute for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
3) Add garlic, ginger, cumin, and cinnamon, mix.
4) Add tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot.
5) Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
6) Add water and salt, bring to a boil.
7) Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
8) Remove the soup from heat. At this point, a lot of the water should be soaked up as this will be a stew, not a soup. You can pre-mash a little, as the potatoes will be very soft, to make it easier on your food processor.
9) Add the peanuts, puree in a food processor until mostly smooth.
10) Return to heat, add peanut butter.
12) Top with chopped (or shredded) cilantro to serve. DON'T MIX IN.