I'm a little surprised that it's already April, especially since that means graduation and the real world are less than two months away.
Anyway, spring in Boston doesn't mean that it's all sunshine and rainbows. In addition to midterms after midterms after midterms, there's also a lot of rain. When the weather is the pits, a bowl of comforting rice pudding (great served warm or cold) can be really nice!
It also makes your house smell really good while you make it and it's super easy to make.
* 3/4 c. uncooked sushi rice
* 1.5 c. water
* 2 c. milk
* 1/3 c. white sugar
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
* Optional - Cinnamon Sugar, to top
1) Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
2) Add sushi rice, reduce heat to low/medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally), until water is all soaked into the rice.
3) Add 1.5 c. of the milk (that's not all of it!), the sugar, and the salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy (~15 to 20 minutes again).
|Stirring regularly prevents it from burning, bubbling over, or forming an unpleasant skin over the top of the milk.|
5) Cook for another 3-5 minutes, remove from the heat, and stir in the butter and vanilla. Stir in well, so that it's all combined.
*Optional* - top with cinnamon sugar!
Great served hot or cold!
What is your favorite way to eat rice pudding?
How often do you bake/cook from scratch vs. from packages or eating out/ordering in?
What would you like next?