May 18, 2014

Recipe: Vegan Thai-Inspired Sticky Rice with Mango

Vegan Thai-Inspired Sticky Rice with Mango
Makes ~1 cup (1-2 servings)


* 1/2 c. uncooked short-grain white rice (I recommend sushi rice - or, to really approximate the Thai version, sticky rice!)
* 1/3 c. water
* 1 1/3 c. coconut milk
* 1/3 c. white sugar
* 1/6 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. white sugar
* Pinch salt
* 1 tsp. cornstarch (tapioca starch might be even better, if you have it)
* 1 mango, peeled and sliced
* Optional sesame seeds, to top (I skipped them, since I didn't have any on hand)

1) Combine rice, water, and 1/2 cup coconut milk in a pot.



2) Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer for around 20 minutes, until liquid is fully absorbed.


Be careful not to let it burn on to the bottom!

3) Mix in another 1/2 c. coconut milk, 1/3 c sugar, 1/6 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.

4) Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


I left some space in the bowl to add mango slices after.

5) Make sauce by combining remaining coconut milk, sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.

6) Arrange mangoes in bowl. 


7) Pour sauce over the mixture (sorry, I don't have a post-sauce photo, but it's fairly similar).

ENJOY!


What is your favorite dessert?

What is your favorite cuisine for dessert?

What is your favorite recipe? Links are welcome, if it's on the web!

3 comments:

  1. I have a very similar recipe to this using brown rice, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat a lot of rice around our house, but never as a dessert. Sounds interesting! I love rice, and most everything tastes great with sugar on top, so I'm sure I'd love this! :)
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday! We'd love it if you'd add a link back to one of the hosts so your readers can know where to find more amazing recipes like this one!
    Can't wait to see what you share with us this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai