Aug 21, 2014

Recipe Review: New York Cheesecake

I visited home for a long weekend at the beginning of the month (guys, how is it already August?) and my mom really likes cheesecake, so I decided to make a cheesecake for my AWESOME mom!

We didn't have any graham crackers in the house, so I used Sandy's recipe for a New York Cheesecake that doesn't have a graham cracker crust!



Of course, I made some alterations. Following recipes to the letter? Generally not my thing, I like mixing things up! Here's my version of her recipe:

New York Cheesecake
Makes 1 10-inch springform pan

The throwback Harvard 'H' is unnecessary, unless you're as ridiculous as me

* 1.5 c. all-purpose flour
* 1/3 c. sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/2 c. margarine
* 2.5 lb cream cheese, softened (5 8oz cream cheese packets)
* 1.75 c. white sugar
* 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
 * 5 eggs
* 2 egg yolks
* 0.25 c. heavy whipping cream

1) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil a 10" springform pan. 

2) Combine the first four ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Spread to the edges of the springform pan. Prick all over with a fork.

3) Bake the crust for 15 minutes at 400F. Allow to cool while you make the filling.

4) Increase the oven temperature to 475F.

5) Make the filling by combining all remaining ingredients except the cream in a large bowl and mixing thoroughly.

6) Add the cream and mix only enough to combine.

7) Pour evenly over the crust.

8) Bake at 475F for 10 minutes. 

9) Reduce temperature to 225F and continue to bake for 70-75 minutes, until set. 


10) Cool, then refrigerate overnight. Open the springform before you cut and serve!

 

What's your favorite dessert?

Do you like plain or flavored (ie: cappucino, peppermint, chocolate, etc.) cheesecake better?

Do you follow recipes or alter them?

2 comments:

  1. Personally, my favorite is the pumpkin cheesecake that's sometimes available around Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice! I love hot fudge brownie sundaes with all the toppings (except whipped cream and cherries) - the best dessert EVA!

      Delete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai