Dec 31, 2014

5 Reasons Not to Go to Times Square for New Year's Eve

This is my first New Year's Eve in New York City and I can't count how many times I have been asked if I am planning to go to Times Square for the ball drop on New Year's Eve.


No, I am not.

While I'm sure it sounds exciting from the warm, cozy comfort of a couch in the suburbs, here is a countdown of five reasons why you really don't want to go to Times Square on New Year's Eve.

5) There are better ways to start the New Year than in a queue. 

We do enough of that all year, why would we want to spend our special occasions in a queue, too?

4) If you thought finding a good spot was hard, try finding a way home.

Not only will it be a huge mess to get out of the square, just because of how many bodies are trying to occupy the same space, but catching a cab will be even more impossible than usual and the subway will be uncomfortably packed.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber developed ultra-peak pricing.

3) New York at midnight in the middle of winter is cold.

gif snow funny cold disney movie scene anna frozen hans csg kristoff disney frozen elsa frozen spoilers

I don't care how much of a buzz you have going, if you're still able to walk in a straightish line you will feel the biting cold.

2) You're queuing up to watch something fall (in a controlled fashion) out of the sky, as it does every year.

ae94a854a699f029e05e93ffc6ced203

Wow, soooo exciting.

1) No one really likes other people that much.

There's no better way to discover your inner misanthropist than hang out in a Times Square crowded with way too many drunk people for any notion of personal space to be feasible.

How are you celebrating New Year's Eve this year?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Danai :D

    Lynne and I will be spending New Years Eve sitting on the couch, enjoying a few glasses of wine and some nibbles and avoiding the cold outside, the huge crowds and the general mayhem of a Scottish hogmanay. So we are totally with you here!

    Take care and have a fantastic New Year when it comes!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil!

      That sounds like a wonderful evening, have a very happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I'd like to go to Times Square at least once though, for the experience if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai