May 4, 2015

Going Out: My Beauty Routine!

Even when you're a twenty-something girl living in NYC, going out is not always appealing in winter. But when the weather warms up and the sun starts beaming happiness down at us on a regular basis, going out becomes so much more appealing!

I'm a model, so on some days (when I have evening photoshoots) I'll just leave on my makeup from the shoot to go out. It makes getting ready much easier!

But usually I don't have this kind of setup to get ready before going out:

Behind the scenes of a photoshoot, in hair & makeup.
It's a bit of a bummer, isn't it? 

I love rocking makeup for photoshoots or shows, but I keep it waaay more natural in my day-to-day life. With 'Pitch Perfect 2', sponsored by Schick and Skintimate, coming out on May 15, I decided to share my going out beauty routine with you guys! Like the Barden Bellas, I'm all about women celebrating our aca-awesome selves. Whether your style is toned down or dialed up, rock it with confidence and you will be the knockout of the night!

Need some ideas of where to start? Here's what I do:

1) Shower and shave - blasting music is NOT optional.

Even if I'm clean and fairly smooth, I love the fresh start of a refreshing shower. Since going out in NYC starts pretty late (...like 1 AM for some of my friends) getting the party started before I go out with great, loud music puts me in the mood for fun! Since I rarely wear perfume, a great-smelling bodywash (like my current favorite, St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Body Wash) is a must.


I'm also pretty flat-chested (as in A-all-the-way), so I like to focus on legs with my going out wardrobe choices. Starting with a moisturizing body wash and capping that off with a fresh shave is the key to the super smooth legs you need to rock your LBD with style and confidence! It's an essential part of my beauty routine.

That's not my going-out outfit (don't worry) but just a shot of that awesome smooth shave that I love!
I'm not one for piling on the extras, as far as makeup and the like goes, but I like to make sure that the foundation (my fabulous self) is as polished as it can be!

My go-to shave essentials are Schick Hydro Silk and Skintimate Strawberry Tangerine Shave Gel for a nick-free shave. Both are available at any Ahold shops (which include Stop & Shop, Giant, and Martin's) so check them out for yourselves!


Want an extra incentive to 'treat yo'self'? There's currently a promotion running where if you buy any Schick women's razor, disposable, or refill and St. Ives Skin Care, you get a free St. Ives Body Wash!

With Skintimate Shave Gel getting you ready to shave, Shick Hydro Silk doing a flawless job of the shave, and St. Ives moisturizing your skin for that gorgeous shine, these products together are all you need to get ready, set, and shine! Rock your legs, ladies!

Even better, St. Ives products are made with 100% natural ingredients, and they're paraben-free, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist tested. I love when my beauty routine has long-lasting positive effects on my well-being!

With that strong foundation, it's on to step number 2!

2) See what my hair feels like doing.

Notice how I didn't say 'do my hair?' That's because my hair isn't the kind of hair that you can 'do' unless you're a trained professional with mad skills. My hair has a mind of its own!


I comb it and asses the state of my curls - sometimes I don't do anything after that, sometimes I clip it, sometimes I tie it up, and sometimes I'll twist or braid small sections (mostly if I'm headed to SoHo and feeling boho). 

3) Get dressed!

This is one of my favorite parts of the routine. So much to wear, so little time! Especially when the weather is nice, it's so fun to put on your favorite clothes or make up new outfit combinations for a night on the town.

While I enjoy just standard dressing up to go out and look cute, my favorite kinds of dressing up are either really elegantly for a formal event or in something totally fantastical, for a masquerade or a costume party.


And ladies, don't forget the accessories! I forgo earrings, necklaces, bracelets, hair ornaments, etc. all too often in the rush to dress on typical weekday mornings (there's always so much to do!) and 50% 85% of the reason why I go out at all is for the fun of dressing up!

Just don't go overboard, because the goal is to look like a chic millenial not Flava-Flav's new flavor of the week. 

4) Put on some basic makeup.

I don't like the feel of heavy makeup or any skin makeup at all, other than the occasional barely-there dusting of blush. Since that nixes foundation or concealer, the makeup step is pretty basic for me!

I start with a clean smooth face - I usually wash my face with just water, but when I have makeup residue or lots of grime from hiking or something, I like a nice exfoliating wash with St. Ives Fresh Apricot Scrub.


Then I put on some eyeliner or eye shadow (never both), add a coat of mascara, and slick on some lip-gloss. Lately I've been loving brow gel, as well - it's like mascara for your eyebrows! If I'm feeling really girly or just have some extra time to kill, I'll add a very light dusting of sparkly pink blush - at the moment it's Maybelline Fit Me in medium pink.

Since I don't do much makeup when I go out (unless I'm going straight from a shoot) I still look like me and not an intense glamazon most of the time. I like it that way! One of the best things about being 22 and not 15, is that I'm confident in who I am!



That, and that I can live in NYC, work, make my own decisions, travel alone, date, not have a bed time, be a grown-up...okay, I have a lot of favorites about my age!

5) Hydrate!

I am not the type of person who goes out and works the wall or the bar stool all night. I love to dance! Pair that activity with the hot spaces that crowded clubs tend to be (aka why I'm all about the open-air rooftop places when it's nice out) and it's a recipe for dehydration.

Aside from alcohol, dehydration is probably the biggest reason why people sometimes don't feel good the day after a night out. I seriously believe that dehydration from partying affects me significantly more than sleep deprivation from partying! 


While it's always a good idea to keep drinking some non-alcoholic beverages throughout the night, especially if you're drinking alcohol, starting with a well-hydrated baseline when you go out certainly can't hurt! What's better than a great Saturday night out? A great Saturday night out and a headache-free Sunday.

What is your going out routine?

What's your favorite pre-party song?

Are you excited for Pitch Perfect 2?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Schick® & St. Ives® . The opinions and text are all mine.

1 comments:

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai