May 18, 2015

Recipe: Kitchen Sink Salad

To me, summer has always started on June 1 and will always start on June 1. 

I used to consider summer to be June and July, with August leading into fall (thanks to the start of school) but now that I'm out of school and base my judgments more on weather than an arbitrary academic calendar, most of August is firmly part of summer, with a transitory week or two at the very end. 

Anyway, this year it's already feeling like summer in NYC and it's only mid-May! I'm quite happy that I'll have reprieve in the (hopefully) cooler Boston and Germany for the worst of the summer. In the meantime, it's nice to take a break from the hot stove now and then. 


On a 90 degree day, I definitely don't feel like eating a hot meal in the middle of the day!

This Kitchen Sink Salad is a tasty, easy, heat-free healthy lunch that you can throw together with whatever you have on hand and is very open to substitutions. Enjoy!



Kitchen Sink Salad
Serves One

* 1 bowl spinach, chopped
* 1/2 c. canned pinto beans
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 3/4 c. tomatoes, diced (I used drained Redpack canned petite diced tomatoes to speed up prep)
* 1 large Braeburn apple, chopped
* 2 Tbsp. walnut oil
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* Optional: Spicy mustard (to taste), for a kick

1) Throw all the ingredients together in a large salad bowl. 


I hardly ever post salad recipes, because once everything is all washed, peeled, and chopped, salads are basically a one-step process to make. I feel ridiculous posting that as a recipe! 

Still, it's good to have a few salad combination ideas on hand, as a good starting place for a quick lunch.

Speaking of quick - I've recently discovered drained canned diced tomatoes work as a salad shortcut. I'd never thought of canned tomatoes as anything but a pasta sauce, pizza sauce, or chili ingredient! 

Because many of us don't realize the versatility of canned diced tomatoes, Redpack is hosting a 'Toss in the Flavor' promotion on the Redpack Facebook Page. If you share your own summer salad recipe featuring their canned diced tomatoes between now and June 10 with the tags #RedpackRecipes and #TossintheFlavor, you can win a Grand Prize Picnic Basket worth $400 that includes all the tools you need to spin, chop, toss, dress, and mix your favorite summer salad!


What do you consider the start of summer?

What is in your favorite salad? Links to recipes are great!

What is your favorite hack to speed up salad prep?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai