Aug 17, 2015

7 Reasons to Eat More Avocado!

When I was younger, I hated avocado. The taste, the texture, everything. But avocado is delicious! 

My days of loathing the egg-shaped fruit are long gone! It does still feel odd to consider it a fruit, however - nutritionally it seems like more of a nut or something like that to me.


Either way, delicious! Here are seven reasons why you should give avocado a second chance. It's amazing how good for you these tasty little powerhouses are!


1. It pairs delightfully with so many other healthy things!

Avocado goes great in salad, mushed up with chips as guacamole, as a sandwich filling, in burritos, with rice and beans, etc. Since a lot of nutrients in vegetables are fat soluble, but vegetables tend to be low in fat, pairing avocado with your salad or raw veggie sticks helps you get more out of the healthy foods you're already eating!


Are you somehow not yet impressed? Avocado makes smoothies creamier and more filling, makes a wickedly delicious vegan chocolate pudding base, and is a healthy replacement for butter in baked goods. Yum!

2. Avocado is packed with healthy fats. 

Avocados are 77% fat and not just any fat - most of that is oleic acid. Think heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids! Keep your heart and healthy and happy with avocado. 

3. It's great for your skin and hair.

Eating healthy fats is one of the best things you can do for your skin, aside from staying hydrated and wearing sunscreen. Healthy fats keep your skin supple, glowing, and young! 

Healthy skin looks good on everyone, so don't pass on the guacamole.

4. They have more potassium than bananas.

This fun fact was a shocker for me! I always thought bananas were the best source of potassium for athletes, but avocados are actually even richer in potassium than bananas! 


High potassium intake is linked to reduced blood pressure and high blood pressure is linked to a variety of diseases, so eating avocado is definitely a good decision!

5. Avocados are high in fiber.

This was another surprise for me! When I think fiber, I think fibrous things, like celery, or things that you have to chew a lot, like twiggy bran cereal. I definitely don't think of the creamy, melt-in-your mouth flesh texture of avocado flesh. 

A single 100g serving of avocado contains 27% of your recommended daily fiber allowance!

6. They're good for your eye health. 

Avocados contain a lot of antioxidants, including lutein and zeaxanthin. These nutrients are linked to lower rates of cataracts and macular degeneration. 

I am a huge bibliophile, so I want to keep my eyes as healthy as possible for as long as I possible, so I can read many, many, many more books!

7. It's delicious!

This one is obviously subjective, but if you think you don't like avocado and you haven't had it in a few years, give it another chance! Tastes change and avocado is delicious.


Pair it with salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of fresh lemon juice for simple and savory or sprinkle it with sugar, the way we do in South Africa. You may be surprised to find that you've discovered that you're actually quite a fan of the yummy, healthy plant!

What is your favorite way to eat avocado?

How often do you eat avocados?

Is there a particular time of year when you eat more avocado than the rest?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai