Aug 21, 2017

Review: Genuine Health Fermented Vegan Proteins+

I'm not vegan and I'm actually not even vegetarian anymore - after 12 or so years of being strictly vegetarian, I'm now a pescatarian. That manifests itself as occasionally ordering salmon at a restaurant or, more frequently, enjoying sushi and sashimi. 

It's a recent change, but I've been positively surprised by how easily my body adapted to it! I have a sensitive stomach and worried it could cause me some pain, but my body has been happy having fish once or twice a week for the last month or two, since the switch to pescetarianism. Yay!

Still, I love vegetarian and vegan food and the vast majority of the time I still order vegetarian and vegan food when I'm out and still eat mostly vegetarian food at home. A mostly plantbased diet gives me energy, keeps my stomach and my skin happy, and just suits my tastes the best. Since most of my days are still vegetarian, I'm still always interested in learning about healthy plantbased sources of protein. 

Vegan Protein

So many protein bars and powders are full of ingredients that I wouldn't even want in a skincare product, much less in something I'm eating. Genuine Health is different - they're committed to creating products that are actually good for you. 

They're the self-proclaimed fermentation experts and the products in their fermented vegan proteins+ line feature fermented organic spirulina, fermented alfalfa, fermented mung bean sprouts, fermented organic quinoa sprouts, fermented pea protein isolate, fermented organic hemp, and fermented brown rice. I love that it's all stuff that I recognize as food!

Why choose fermented protein, especially when there are so few brands out there doing it? Easy - fermented plant protein is 40% better absorbed and utilized by the body than the same protein, unfermented. 

Absorption of plantbased proteins is a major concern for vegetarians and vegans, since plants have plenty of protein, but our bodies aren't as great at absorbing it. During fermentation, bacteria break down the plantbased proteins, effectively pre-digesting them for you and making it easier for your body. It's kind of like the (less gross) human version of when mama birds chew up their babies' food for them!

Vegan Protein Powder Review

I like that they use natural sweeteners and no known allergens, so it's bloat-free plant protein! I also love that it's 100% complete fermented protein - it's the first complete, fermented plantbased protein on the market. And it's yummy! Chocolatey, but not too malty tasting, and mixes easily and uniformly into a shake. The only pity is that you probably shouldn't make protein pancakes with it, because cooking seems like it would kill the bacteria. 

Fermented foods increase the biodiversity of friendly bacteria and strengthen the gut, improving digestion and cultivating a healthy gut ecology. For a girl with a sensitive stomach, like me, that's great news! I already eat plenty of yogurt, but I don't drink kombucha often or eat that much sauerkraut (unless I'm visiting my family in Germany) so it's great to have it conveniently in a chocolate-flavored snack bar!

Vegan Protein Bar Review

I'll happily eat my bacteria if it's chocolate-flavored! Both bars are delicious - with 9g of sugar, they're not the lowest sugar bar out there. They're still not too sugary, however, and way lower in sugar than some major protein bars that pack 20-30g of sugar per serving. They also manage to avoid using artificial sweeteners, like lower sugar bars do. They're feature natural sweeteners instead, like agave syrup.

Most importantly, they're very chocolatey. Not malty protein-bar flavored mass with a hint of chocolate, but thoroughly chocolate, through and through. So good! It's hard to pick a favorite of the two, but I'll have to go with the dark chocolate almond. It's a close call! There are more flavors, as well, but I just tried the chocolate ones, because chocolate.

What's your favorite fermented food?

Do you intentionally try to eat fermented foods?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai