Jan 22, 2016

Recipe: Potato Leek Soup

I had a really cool opportunity to travel to Paris for 2.5 weeks last month for work!

I missed having Christmas with my loved ones (and New Year's, but I don't care nearly as much about that), which was really sad and hopefully won't happen again, but the experience was amazing.

Parisian architecture is beautiful, the city of lights sparkled and shined despite the atrocities earlier in the fall, and visiting the museums and Eiffel Tower was really great! Parisian food was also a really interest culinary experience.

But after 2.5 weeks of eating out every day, I couldn't have been more thrilled to return to my kitchen! Since winter finally hit in January (it came so late this year) and I had just returned from France, I couldn't think of anything more fitting than potato leek soup.



Read on for a simple, but delicious, recipe for Potato Leek Soup. It will sweep you away to a rainy Parisian afternoon!
Potato Leek Soup
Serves 2-3

* 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced (just the white stem)
* 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
* 1 small white onion, diced
* 1 tbsp. vegetable oil (I used walnut oil)

* 1 can chicken broth
* 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1" cubes (I used Idaho potatoes)

* 3/8 c. heavy cream
* 1/4 tsp. black pepper
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
* 1/16 tsp. garlic powder

1) Saute the leek, celery, and onion in vegetable oil slowly, for ~10 minutes.

2) In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the sauteed vegetables and diced potatoes. 

3) Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes.

4) Add the cream and spices. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

5) Use a potato masher to mash the potato chunks in the soup a bit, to achieve the desired consistency. Alternately, you can puree the soup for a creamier consistency.


This soup pairs excellently with a simple salad and some crusty French bread for a warming winter meal!

What are your favorite winter meals?

What has been the best part of your January so far?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai