Apr 25, 2015

Recipe: Mujaderrah


Ready for your new healthy, frugal, simple, and delicious 5-ingredient lunch? Let's take a culinary journey to the Far East.


Mujaderrah is a simple Indian dish of spiced whole grain brown rice and lentils, served with sauteed onions and sour cream, that's high in fiber, heart-healthy, and suitable for a wide range of diets, including a vegetarian (and even vegan, if you substitute vegan sour cream) diet.

It's really simple, basic, and budget-friendly, but absolutely delicious. Embrace the simpler, but exotic, side of life with a Mujaderrah lunch!


Mujaderrah
Serves 3



* 1.333 c. dry lentils
* 0.75 c. dry brown rice
* 1 Tbsp. cumin
* 6 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into rings

- OPTIONAL: Sour Cream to top (but don't skip it, it really enhances the other flavors in the dish)

1) Combine lentils, brown rice, and cumin in a medium pot with water up to about double as high as the dry ingredients. 

2) Cook over medium-high heat (the appropriate heat to gently simmer) for ~30 minutes, until water is absorbed and lentils and rice are soft. 

3) Ten minutes before the rice mix is finished, heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet pan over medium heat. 

4) Add the sliced onion rings, saute for ~10 minutes until golden brown and soft (i.e.: caramelize your onions). 

5) Serve the lentil-rice mixture topped with the sauteed onions and olive oil mix and a dollop of sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


It's really that easy and it's a filling, nutritious lunch that provides you with lasting plantbased energy to power you through your day!

Love Indian food? Tweet it!

2 comments:

  1. Favorite world cuisine? Everything that tastes good :D
    But I have a soft spot for thai food because I felt in love with Thailand last year when I visited my thai friend.
    But I love Indian food as well - veggie curry with rice *_* sooo good *in love*
    You inspired me to buy brown rice the next time I am in a supermarket :)
    Have a lovely weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha and I love German food! Have a wonderful weekend, as well :D I hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai