Apr 29, 2015

Recipe: Vegetarian Pad Thai

I'm on a mission to cook my way around the world! 

It's a lot of fun to explore different cultures and food can be such a big part of culture. Everyone uses spices differently and there''s so much to be learned when you venture out of your comfort zone in the kitchen!


I decided to attack a meal that sounded fairly intimidating to me - pad thai. I was pleased to find that it turned out well from the get-go and after some tweaks to increase authenticity, here's a recipe that I'm happy to share with all of you for a vegetarian pad thai!

Vegetarian Pad Thai
Serves 6-8


Sauce:
* 0.5 c. white sugar
* 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
* 0.25 c. fish sauce
* 2 Tbsp. tamarind pulp

Main:
* 1 (12 oz.) package dried rice noodles
* 0.5 c. peanut oil
* 1.5 tsp. minced garlic
* 4 eggs
* 1 (12 oz.) package firm tofu, cut into 0.5 inch strips
* 0.25 c. soy sauce
* 1.5 Tbsp. white sugar
* 1.5 tsp. salt
* 1.5 c. roughly ground peanuts

Accompaniments:
* 0.5 c. chopped fresh chives
* 1 tsp. chili powder
* 2 c. fresh bean sprouts
* Optional: 1 lime, cut into wedges


1) Combine the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, mixing continuously. I like using a whisk, because the tamarind pulp I had clumped otherwise!



2) Soak the noodles in cold water until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Drain.

3) Warm the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

4) Add the garlic and eggs; scramble the eggs.

5) Add tofu and soy sauce. Stir until well mixed.

6) Add drained noodles. Mix frequently until cooked through (~5 minutes). 

7) Add in the sauce that you made earlier, along with the white sugar and salt. 

8) Add ground peanuts, mix well.


9) Remove from heat, add chives and chili powder. Toss well. 

10) Serve with fresh bean sprouts and lime wedges on the side. If you want extra kick, feel free to add some sriracha sauce!


Enjoy!
What would you like me to make next?

Which world cuisine is your favorite?

Are you an adventurous eater?

{ 0 } comments... read them below or add one

Post a Comment

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai