The Princess Games was released today!
Check it out on Amazon!
Okay, back to the food - I may be a city girl now, but that doesn't change that I grew up in North Carolina. Carolina girls love pie!
Whether you're a southerner, a northerner, a mid-westerner, or something else entirely (I realize I didn't mention most of the planet), I am sure you can enjoy a good pie. And if you can't you just haven't had really good pie yet!
Whether you need a recipe for a dessert for a dinner party, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just because, this apple pie recipe is a simple and delicious way to convert your friends and family to the pie side of life!
It's sweeter over here.
Makes 1 9-inch pie
* 1 egg white
* 1/2 c. unsalted butter
* 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 3 Tbsp. water
* 1/2 c. white sugar
* 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
* 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (pure, not imitation)
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* dash nutmeg
* dash cloves
* 4-5 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2) Stir in the flour and cornstarch to make a paste.
3) Add the water, sugars, vanilla, and spices to the paste, stirring as you bring it to a boil. Reduce temperature to a simmer.
From here on, you need to work fast! The syrup for the top of the crust must still be hot or it will solidify.
4) Mix the apple slices with 2/3 of the hot syrup.
5) Prick the bottom pie shell with a fork and brush with an egg white. You will likely not need the entire egg white.
6) Pour the apple-syrup mixture into the bottom pie shell.
7) Top the filled crust with the top crust, pinching the edges together to seal.
8) Cut slits or a decorative pattern of your choice into the top crust, to allow steam to escape during baking.
9) Brush the remaining third of the syrup on the top pie crust.
10) Bake on the middle rack of a pre-heated 350F oven for 60-75 minutes, until apples are cooked through and the crust is golden brown. If the crust browns too quickly, tent with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Put a tray on the rack below the pie to catch any possible syrup overflow, in case some bakes out. This will save you a big mess!
11) Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Like pie? Tweet it!