One might not think of zucchini as an ideal ingredient in a sweet bread, but it works so well in zucchini bread!
This bread is soft, moist, flavorful (I highly recommend keeping the walnuts and not omitting the optional topping) and both delicious and pretty!
It's also easy to make, features easy to find ingredients, includes two whole zucchinis, and will make your apartment smell amazing. Read on for the recipe!
1) Grease and flour a 9x5" pan. Preheat oven to 325F (165C).
2) Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a medium-sized bowl.
3) Cream the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
4) Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Don't over-mix.
5) Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined, but don't over-mix.
6) Pour the batter into prepared pans.
7) Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
8) Mix together the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and butter for the toppings.
9) After the loaf has baked for ~15 minutes, quickly remove it from the oven and sprinkle the topping evenly over the loaf. Quickly return the loaf to the oven and finish baking.
10) Remove to a rack to cool. Enjoy!
This loaf is perfect as is or toasted with butter or nut butter! It freezes well and makes a beautiful gift, especially with the topping. I highly recommend adding the topping - in my opinion, it's what takes this loaf from good to great!
Love zucchini bread? Tweet it!