This loaf is flavorful, moist with a good texture, and makes grilled cheese sandwiches, croutons, and savory sandwiches. It's also a nice gift loaf or nice to bring along to a picnic or potluck! Read on for the easy-to-follow recipe.
Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
* 1.5 tsp. salt
* 0.25 c. olive oil
* 3 whole medium-sized jalapeno peppers, chopped
* 1 medium sized jalapeno pepper without ribs or seeds, chopped
* 1.5 c. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
* 0.5 c. parmesan cheese, finely grated
* 1 large egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
* 2 Tbsp. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
* 0.25 c. parmesan cheese, finely grated
1) Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a large mixing bowl. Set aside at room temperature for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2) Mix in the flour, salt, and olive oil. Beat with a heavy wooden spoon for 5-8 minutes, until it's a smooth dough. For experienced bread bakers - this dough will be much wetter and stickier than bread dough usually is, but it should be.
3) Mix in the chopped jalapeno peppers, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese until well combined.
4) Scrape the dough down from the sides of the bowl. Sprinkle a light dusting of flour over the dough and cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel, so that a crust doesn't form. Let rise in a warm place for 2.5 hours, or until doubled.
5) Punch down the dough and form into a roughly 11x8 inch rectangle with floured hands.
7) Fold the rectangle of dough into thirds, pressing along the seam of each fold to seal.
8) Place the dough seam side down in an oiled 9x5 inch loaf pan. Cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough completely fills the pan and rises a bit above it.
9) Brush the loaf with the beaten egg and sprinkle the 2 Tbsp. cheddar cheese and 0.25 c. parmesan cheese over the loaf.
10) Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
11) Bake the bread on a cookie tray, no longer in the pan, for an additional ten minutes on its side, so that it gets a nice crispy crust.
12) Cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy! This bread is great as the base for a sandwich, or just by itself with a bit of butter.
Like cheesy bread? Tweet it!