Aug 10, 2016

Recipe: Savory Zucchini Pancakes

I'm visiting my family in Germany before I move into my new apartment and start my new job in Boston next week!

In addition to frolicking in the fields, polishing up my mini-golf skills, being amused by my suddenly sassy tween sister, and enjoying seeing my loved ones after a year apart (!), I'm working on a ghostwriting project. While everyone is at work and at school, I write. Since writing means no commute, I have more time than the others and, since I also love cooking, it only makes sense that I'm in charge of lunch this week!

So, what do you do when a friendly farmer neighbor gifts you a massive tree trunk of a zucchini?

Cooking with Zucchini

You make savory zucchini patties! What's a savory zucchini pancake? It's a cheesy, veggie-packed patty full of vitamins, minerals, and veggie goodness! It's somewhere between a latke and a potato pancake, but with zucchini instead of potatoes.

Zucchini Latkes

Read on for the easy and delicious recipe! It's a meat-free meal that my kid, adult, and grandmother taste testers all enjoyed.

Zucchini Latkes

Makes 4 servings

* 2 c. grated zucchini
* 0.25 c. chopped onion
* 2 eggs
* 0.5 c. potato flakes or all-purpose flour (all-purpose flour makes it more zucchini pancake-ish and potato flakes make it more zucchini latke-ish)
* 0.5 c. grated parmesan cheese
* 0.5 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
* Salt, pepper, and parsley, to taste

* Optional: Bread crumbs to coat

* 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil for frying

1) Salt the zucchini and let sit in a colander, to drain off the excess liquid. Pat off with a paper towel.


2) In a medium bowl, mix together zucchini, onion, eggs, potato flakes or flour, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.

Latkes Recipe

Mix well, until thoroughly combined.


3) Form round patties and coat in bread crumbs.

Making Latkes

4) Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the zucchini patties until golden.

Cooking Healthy

5)  Flip and cook until golden on the other side, as well.

German Cooking

Enjoy!

Latkes Recipe

These are best served hot and with sour cream, as a veggie-packed, frugal lunch!

What is your favorite way to use zucchini?

What do you like cooking for lunch?

How many times per week do you eat a hot lunch?

1 comments:

Please say hello, leave your comments, or answer my questions! It makes me smile when you leave me a note :) I read every single one of them and it makes my day when you guys say hi!

© Living, Learning, Eating, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by Danai